Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

I want PA Trading Cards :3
  2. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

Yes that was/is quite ridiculous.

I had some friends that made a fresh system install and forgot to deinstall the game first... before doing that... at least some games gave you an extra installation back once you deinstalled it... still ridiculous and a pain...
  3. Zoughtbaj

Zoughtbaj Member

I was thinking the same thing :D
  4. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

I did it with Kerbal Space Program just before posting. It works. Not with all games, I admit, but it is possible. And since PA will be DRM-free, I think it should be possible with it.
  5. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

For Alpha and Beta, we have a large number of reasons to require a connection, some business related, most practical project related.

Don't read too much into Steam. Whether you login directly to UberNet or prefer to keep all your games on Steam, it will have approximately a 5 second impact on your experience until the end of Beta, and then after that, you'll only need Steam if you want to connect to UberNet servers. If you want to spawn LAN games or whatever, we expect it will work exactly the same as non-Steam connected versions, since that is in our control.
  6. Causeless

Causeless Member

It doesn't work, it tells steam to load up the game in the original folder. If you have multiple copies of KSP in different folders, it'll always load up the Steam folder regardless. If you forcibly stop Steam from opening via being logged out etc, you can't play. I've tried. I suspect you just copy+pasted everything and paid no attention to what was actually being done.

We'll NEED Steam to connect to the UberNet servers? So we are actively being punished if we want to stay on the open DRM free version?

Also, what happens if we want a LAN game via the Steam version, while not connected to the internet?
  7. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

IF, and ONLY IF you change to the Steam key version you'll need to login to steam first, then through them to UberNet.

UberNet only users don't need Steam for squat...

Damn... Knee-jerk reaction much? You're taking the answer garat gave you ENTIRELY out of context.
  8. Causeless

Causeless Member

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood.

Edit:

Though, I have a question:
    What will happen to my USB stick copy of PA if I switch to Steam? Will it be tied to using Steam?
  9. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

You get a separate key with your USB version, so you can either keep it steam-less or convert it at your leisure.
  10. Causeless

Causeless Member

What about things like the extra commanders? Would those carry over?

And if somebody had a $5000 pledge and gave 1 of their extra 5 custom commanders away, would that carry onto both the keys or just one?
  11. monkeyulize

The USB game comes with a totally separate key, it's meant to give to a friend just like the add-on keys were. Your custom commanders and such should be tied to your uber account which will be tied to a single key.
  12. Causeless

Causeless Member

Why would the USB keys be for giving to a friend...? That's kinda dumb. Can you give me any official sources on what you said?

Edit:

Ah, here: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=41493

You are correct on the first point, but to me extra commanders not being carried over doesn't make sense. I bought the USB key as I intended to use it.
  13. monkeyulize

So if you bought a gift copy of a game on steam, you would redeem that game on another account for your personal use? That doesn't make any sense.

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to use the usb stick to install a copy of the game on other computers, but it will come with a separate game key that someone could theoretically redeem on the uber website (I'm guessing) or on steam.
  14. Causeless

Causeless Member

A USB key isn't a gift copy. It's physical merchandise.
  15. aerowind

aerowind New Member

Steam isn't DRM. Quit saying it is. Quite a few of the indie games are DRM free, and by that I mean I can download them, go to my steam folder, offload the game to a flash drive and play it anywhere I want to. If there is DRM on steam, it's because the devs put it there.
  16. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

No matter how often you keep saying that, Steam includes DRM and thats it. If you use the Steam API in any way (this includes DLC or even just achievements / friend list for matchmaking!), then you have a dependency on the Steam main application which makes the application unable to run without Steam running.

What you describe is ONLY true for games which don't use anything of the Steam API at all, no matchmaking, no friends list, no VOIP, no achievements. And even then many developers still link their applications against the Steam library so DRM becomes active.

So far the only games I know which are on Steam and DRM "free" are a bunch of Flash games because the Steam API is inaccessible to these games.
  17. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Am I the only person that thinks the majority of the posters in this thread are being pants-on-head-*dumb* over this? Scroll back through this thread and see how hilariously dumb everything in here is.

You're making mountains out of molehills. Smoke a blunt, or take a chill pill. Just calm down please.
  18. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

100% agree
  19. Causeless

Causeless Member

There are a few non-flash games without Steam DRM too, but I think Valve may only allow that in special cases (incompatibilities).

For example, DEFCON needs to have the Steam API included with the game itself which hints at some incompatibilities with the default Steam method, and some other games (both AAA and indie) have started with no Steam DRM then in a later update have them added.
  20. monkeyulize

But the USB "key" COMES WITH a GAME key. The USB stick will have the game installer preloaded on it. It's two separate concepts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.