Big crater after the commander go's nuclear (combomb)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BallsonFire, April 21, 2013.

1. BallsonFire

BallsonFire Active Member

When the commander in supreme commander is killed the commander go's nuclear. What happens if the commander is killed in PA? and if so will there be a big crater? It would be cool to see that the explosion causes allot of damage to the surrounding buildings units and environment. Afterwards seeing a big crater in PA would be really nice. :)

Anyone knows if this is implemented? If not, would you like to see this suggestion in PA?
    Last edited: April 21, 2013
  2. GoogleFrog

GoogleFrog Active Member

Large commander explosions are cool but they have almost always caused problems. Most 1v1 games are set up such that the commander explosion has no effect on the gameplay. Teamgames can have combombing issues.
  3. blearwargh

blearwargh New Member

I did like the fact that commanders went Nuclear in FA (so i could do more damage to their base) but I am also concerned about the aforementioned "chain" effect, because it does happen and it is really annoying. Then again, good players learn to keep their commanders well protected or away from the main areas of the base (I.E Volatile T3 Fusion Generators) but perhaps another effect like a short term EMP where your Point Defenses and Engineers go offline (since there is no "Commander" controlling them anymore) until they switch over to their internal "Brains".
  4. BallsonFire

It's mostly functional in multilayer games with more than two players like => 2vs2 but I think it can add depth to the game. I think it adds an extra strategic element to the game. Also you must watch out in case your commander is killed it doesn't take out your teammates structures and units.
  5. blearwargh

blearwargh New Member

but to get rid of some of the annoying "killing your teamates" aspect of it and since these are Robot's not self sustaining environments housing a human within an armoured shell so i don't see what would go nuclear other than if they decide to put a small Fission reactor inside him (which i would hope they wouldn't do) so it seems more logical for an EMP burst as the commanders "command" signals go out and the units have to switch over to their onboard tactical computers.
  6. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Comm bombing was only a real problem in team games with shared control. It was a problem because each team had a number of Commanders and didn't lose until the last one died. So what did you do? You took 3/4 Commanders and blew up the enemy base!

The team problem is easily fixed by having one Comm per team. More nuanced fixes include making the Comm rush a poor strategy for any number of reasons. For example, an explosion may deal a huge amount of damage but at a low DPS rate, thus being easily absorbed by some form of shield. Turrets may help keep pesky Comms out of your base. Strong early game growth (like a reclaim map rush) punishes Comms that fail to build their first base along with everyone else.

The suicide bombing problem is solved by having the first dead Commander lose no matter the result. Draws are annoying.

It would be nice to see just how big a Comm explosion can get without causing game problems. Push it to the limit!
  7. BallsonFire

The fix to that problem is called assassination mode, where you lose if you commander gets killed :p
  8. BallsonFire

Well its something I like in supreme commander/fa. I hope to see something like it when the commander is killed. And of course it has its advantages and disadvantages but it's just something you should take into account when playing. I never had combomb problems when playing in assassination mode, but if so there are many solutions to fix that.
  9. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Perhaps a Commander outside of assassination mode shouldn't blow up like that? Or perhaps you shouldn't start with one at all. It is pretty much a free starting nuke.
  10. BallsonFire

That would be one of many possible solutions to none assassination game modes.
  11. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I like the com nuke from SupCom because it stopped the effect that com nuking had from TA where one commanders death caused yours to immediately die if inside the radius.

Id like the ability to hunker my commander once again, to help shield him from damage when possible.
  12. KNight

KNight Post Master General

For those unaware, ACUs and Structures had a Special Armor type where they took reduced Damage from ACU Deathblasts only, I don't remember the exact numbers anymore thought.

Mike
  13. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

combombing is absolutely essential, period

carebears ruining my games with their whining

if getting caught in the blast is such a concern then don't put your commander anywhere near the enemy commander, simple solution rather than breaking the game
  14. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

According to the Supreme Commander Version 3603 patch notes it was a set amount of 2500 damage to other ACUs.
    (50,000 to all other units except buildings) A reduction of a staggering 95%
    Last edited: April 21, 2013
  15. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Well it's not essential...just nice to have.
  16. SleepWarz

SleepWarz Active Member

MAD made the game of TA way more fun. But since the majority of competive players are ninnies that get their panties knotted up at the first sign of a draw its most likely going to be the terrible FA system where commanders magically take little damage from it. MAD kept you from being overly aggressive with the comm, and allowed you to DRAW games where people played to aggressively. Lots of fun getting the enemy to low health and its mostly the lack of tactics that hurts it. I never saw people try to airlift thier com out in TA ( Granted that could be due to the horribly low hp on the transports, and the op of air to air and ground to air )

Non mad commander destruction is made for players who cant deal and rage at the thought of their actions having repercussions.
  17. BallsonFire

Well is there any information about this subject? or will the commander just simply drop down if it is destroyed?
  18. dallonf

dallonf Active Member

I really like the com-explosion and I don't think the game would be as good without it. It gives every assassination match a dramatic and climatic ending. I really hope that there are ways to prevent exploits without sacrificing that feature altogether.
  19. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

In FA nothing takes damage from the death nuke, it's almost purely visual.
  20. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

50,000 damage to units. 2,500 to ACUs, 500 to buildings.

Normal units take a lot of damage bmb. :roll: