Chris Taylor's opinions on PA

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by qwerty3w, January 17, 2013.

1. KNight

KNight Post Master General

A bit more tact wouldn't have killed him.....

Mike
  2. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

He's not known for tact.
  3. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Um, wow.
  4. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

Come on, Chris, I'm trying to sympathize here. You're making it difficult . . .
  5. movra

movra Member

The tried and true Golem Effect!
    Last edited: January 22, 2013
  6. micronian

micronian New Member

Well... at least he gave his 100% honest opinion... :?
  7. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

Well... we can't blame him for that.

@Uber: Best RTS in 2013?
  8. tollman

tollman Member

Aye, not the most thoughtful thing to have said. Shame.

Interesting that TA took 20 months, I wonder how big the development team was and if it was their first game together and if they also had to develop an engine from scratch.

I think Neutrino has stated he is also working everyday; they already have an engine (right?); they are only doing one faction; no single player campaign and its related video sequences; everyone on the team seems to have worked on RTS games before and with each other before; they have TA and SC as a kind of blueprint (which the Cavedog guys didn't really have) and they were conceptualising things months before the kick starter began. Generating maps instead of hand crafting may also be a time saver but I am not sure, map crafting is very labour intensive though right?.

Hopefully these differences will make the game development move along quicker than the 20 months, though I don't mind if things are delayed by a few months either.
  9. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Yes, yes and yes. And of the 20 months the full team was only on for about a year.

Right.

Then add in no single player campaign and less units to build. I outlined this is previous posts but our strategy is to avoid large costs through smart design.
  10. tollman

tollman Member

Yeah, after re-reading my original post I edited it to add "no single player campaign and its related video sequences". Not quite quick enough though :)

Anyway, I have faith in you and Uber, hence I put down for a couple of copies of the game during kickstarter and got my brothers on board too :)
  11. RCIX

RCIX Member

I personally much prefer him straight up saying that, I don't much appreciate mincing words or beating around the bush.
  12. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I don't either but I think we are in the minority.

Would it be gauche for me to do the same in his AMA? I can't tell but somehow I think popping up there would be bad. ;)
  13. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

No big deal. CT is entitled to his opinion and only time will tell...

I (like most here) have every confidence in Uber, but lets not let get all tribal about this, and let it degenerate in to blind-faith.
  14. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

To be fair, Chris also mentioned all the best for PA!
  15. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I am not sure why someone else's opinion really matters anyway.

So I ask, why do we even care?

If that's his opinion, good on him.
  16. zordon

zordon Member

DO WANT.

Fairs only fair after all, he saw fit to comment publicly on your work.
  17. ultramarine777

ultramarine777 Member

You should, but nothing hardcore.

I'm a fan of CT and he doesn't seem to be saying it offensively, just has his doubts.
    Last edited: January 22, 2013
  18. miliascolds

miliascolds Member

you seem to have your stuff together, know what to say no to what to strive for and have existing work to build off of in terms of ubernet and engine and engine design experience, i think if anyone can / could pull off this game uber is uniquely suited to do so. AND i really want it to happen, and so do others so barring financial pits of despair, i think people me included are accepting of delays and things that are bound to occur. anyway, i have faith in the project but i wouldn't have backed them if i didn't.
  19. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

I think shipping this game will say everything that needs to be said ;)
  20. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

It'd be entertaining, but in the end, it's going to be crushing enough for CT when Wildman flops, and the last thing you need is an inter-industry firestorm generating negative publicity, especially if you ever run into difficulties yourself.

I think CT has a good heart, but misses the point on what people want in a game. Somehow ALL the sequels to his games seem to take a good core gameplay idea and screw it up.