[Suggestion] 3rd resource, command points.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by stmorpheus, September 20, 2012.

1. stmorpheus

stmorpheus New Member

What would you guys think about a 3rd resource called command points. These would be generated by a building called a command station or some such thing and every planet would have these hard points that generated 1 command point per second/minute whatever. The number of command hard points per planet would be based on the size of the planet and with those points you could either:

a) build awesome powerful units.

b) directly controlled the number of units you could field at any given time. Say 100 units per command structure.

c) give you powerful special abilities that you could call like a orbital bombardment or instant transport of x amount of units.

Thoughts?
  2. stmorpheus

stmorpheus New Member

well i guess b wouldn't work too well if your destroying planets. It would have to be something useful but not vital you get out of it.
  3. sullenone

sullenone New Member

Hmmm, I'm not really in favor or a) or c). I interpret a) as a way of getting experimental units into PA, which even though they would be built from a different resource pool, an interesting idea, will still cause many the problems. c) just doesn't fit into the game style in my opinion, specifically I don't think there should be anything like special abilities or anything that requires micromanagement.

b) could be a good way of handling unit caps, I can think of a number of interesting possibilities that could come from this. To expand further on this idea, it would be interesting if these command points were localized to the planetary bodies and acted like influence, providing some minor passive benefits like vision or a slight increase in production speed.
  4. zordon

zordon Member

5. thygrrr

thygrrr Member

Please - NO!
  6. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

Command points make sense in games like W40K:DoW, where you are not the main boss, but sort of squad leader. In PA you are the main boss. You don't need this stuff. At least if you call them like that.

If we are going to have 3rd resource, it should be fuel. It makes sense for interplanetary game, and somebody from devs already told something about sucking He3 from gas giants. He probably meant it to be energy generating structure, but...
  7. metalord

metalord New Member

"Build more Pylons!" No, 100 times no.
  8. zeitgeber

zeitgeber New Member

No.

KISS: 'Keep it simple stupid'
  9. Yourtime

Yourtime Member

+1 @ resources
  10. Alcheon

Alcheon Member

a)
    -NO, i want hordes of weak fragile units (peewees ) to throw against my enemies

b)
    -no
    c)
    - dont want special abilities or magic
  11. dumblediner

dumblediner New Member

Oh dear god no.
    It was bad enough in DOW.
  12. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I think we all saw how "good" this was in SupCom2.

And by Good I mean the Worst thing about SupCom2.

No.

Mike
  13. thefirstfish

thefirstfish New Member

I'm in favour of a 3rd (and 4th-7th) resource, but not command points, and not on every planet, and not related to unit caps.

See the rare resources thread for more discussion on extra resources.
  14. Yourtime

Yourtime Member

oh you ;D the mass makes it :D
  15. stmorpheus

stmorpheus New Member

i think i should clarify my idea a bit. the hard point is where you would build a building of some type and each one contributes the command point resource to a global pool that is used. i'm just a bit concerned with why you need more planets. i like the idea of having a bunch of units but there needs to be a way to cause you to fight for resources. if one big planet provides a near infinite resource pool itself then why venture out?. i guess there are still alot of things we dont know yet. playing a game like supcom, it was easy to get a ton of units from only a handful of extractors. i want to need a reason to fight for planets.
  16. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

total annihilation?
  17. SwiftBlizz

SwiftBlizz Member

+1
    If you don't move out... then someone who has a lot more planets is gonna come for You. And throw a huge KEW right smack in you face!
  18. thapear

thapear Member

This idea is so much NO.
  19. dffmmm

dffmmm Member

Command points are exactly what's wrong with the rts-es of today. Give me all the units I want without the need to build houses for my robots. What are they going to use them for anyway?
  20. KNight

KNight Post Master General

You mean aside form more economy to build more of everything?

Mike