Confirmed features and suggestions

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by xedi, August 17, 2012.

1. brakpan

brakpan New Member

I cant remember that much from my TA days, but am I correct in saying that you need a Tier 2 construction KBot to build an Advanced KBot factory? And a Tier 2 construction vehicle to build an advanced vehicle factory? But a Tier 2 KBot could not build an advanced vehicle factory.

If I'm remembering wrong then please ignore me, if not, please can we make it so that every engineer can build everything on the same tech level as them. So I can use a flying builder to build a naval yard, if I want to.

And it would also be nice if construction KBots and vehicles were amphibious, like they are in SupCom, for the same reason.

And one last thing - I like being able to build Advanced factories directly, but can I also upgrade normal factories to advanced? Otherwise normal factories are useless later. Just please make it not take as long as it does in SupCom!
  2. xedi

xedi Active Member

Updated for new stretch goals etc, added ice planets, and suggestions.
  3. Yourtime

Yourtime Member

hm ._. you didnt really added mines (because you wrote suggestions) Klick

When there are orbital stations, buildings or units, it is possible to destroy them and then it is possible that there is a wreckage... so why not letting form from a big wreckage a new asteriod.. ?
  4. shollosx

shollosx Member

I also seem to think that there is some hesitation about Radar Jamming as well. This is a very strategic part of the game, well it always was in Total Annihilation. How many people remember the dread and worry that came when you spotted your enemy attacking your shipyards and sea ships with fibbed subs? That kind of feeling is something I would like to see again. Even if i'm the one being fibbed! hahah
  5. shollosx

shollosx Member

I don't think this would be a good idea. Kbots and Vehicles are different types of units. The cons they produce should not be able to create a different types of advanced labs. I think that would be a laziness factor which I don't think should be part of a strategic game.
  6. killerquake

killerquake New Member

What about 64bit support?

In the comments at the kickstarter page they said (on August 16):
    "Q: 64-bit OS Support?
    A: Can't really commit to that right now, but I don't see any reason why we wouldn't."

Is there more information about this?
  7. jseah

jseah Member

Will we get 3D terrain or is it just going to be a height map? A flying arch that units could path over would be nice. XD

(although that + cratering would play merry hell with pathfinding. Especially if players were allowed to build these bridges and overhangs. )
  8. brakpan

brakpan New Member

I think it becomes a pain to manage so many different kind of construction vehicles and factories. In trying to reduce micro, I think this would be a good thing.
  9. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

Neutrino stated height-maps are the fall-back position. He's exploring other, hopefully better, options first.
  10. daemonmf

daemonmf New Member

Why yes, there is. From Update #1 on kickstarter:

"64-bit Support
    We're confirming support for 64-bit operating systems."
  11. lirpakkaa

lirpakkaa New Member

I prefer not having upgradable factories but separate ones. Tier 1 units shouldn't become obsolete though, if they do then that's just crappy design - T2 should bring in new options that compliment the old ones, not bring in "super flashes" and "super samsons" that make building normal flashes and samsons pointless.
  12. mygoodfellow

mygoodfellow New Member

Hello! I am looking forward to this epic title!

I do have some suggestions to help with the UI side of things, when players get spread thin over a galaxy:

I think it would be necessary to have a seamless UI that handles these things. It is probably a given, but when the numbers stack up and a player's attention is scarce, the micromanaging of an economy takes away from strategic decisions.

with that in mind, it would be nice to have the possibility of a moddable UI

A suggestion to help with base building:
    A UI component that works as a layout with slots. Players can select a unit and tell it to build into specific slots, and page between preset layouts, and maybe be able to set up a custom layout.
    Once the player has the layout they want, they can select an engineer or commander unit and use its build commands to simply set buildings into slots of their choice, almost as though they were building directly them on to the terrain. This could be saved for later use by other engineers, possibly. And though not essential, it would be nice to be able to set these up before starting the game.

On to the next suggestion, Task forces:
    What they are in concept is a grouping that can take general orders (like the attack / stand ground toggle in TA). In addition to this they can also hold a rally order, and a move to order. some examples of this to clarify:

A player is building X units that the factory can put in Y task force, which the player renames "Assault Bob's base" (from a default numeric iteration "Group 1")
    The units rally at a location set by the player until they reach Z size, then they move to a second location set by the player ahead of time, with a general order to attack anything in their way (toggle switch)

A second example would be an engineer task force:
    This Task force could have access to the previously mentioned base layout UI, so they have orders to build this base at X location, before moving on to Y location and building another like it. New engineers could be added to the group quickly by having factories set to this engineer task force. The new units would move to the location where the others are, and assist.

The intent and spirit of these suggestions is to make the game controls 'get out of the way' or merge seamlessly with the way the player needs to consider their situation at a macro level, when the number of units is exploding and they are expanding across the galaxy, controlling large portions thereof.

That said, if you have something like this in mind already... AWESEOME! Can't wait to see it!

Edit: Forgot some thoughts

To save space, could it be possible to have building upgrades, like power plants that can add on modules to increase power output without having to build more plants?

And a suggestion: I saw some debate about orbital commanders... what about having the commander capable of building a self-module to enable orbital building and movement? It will start out as a ground commander but can build a module to enable movement between ground and orbit, but not between planets? And to make it less of a balance issue, it is a one-shot orbital boost, to get into orbit. And to compliment that, it could self-build a landing module to get back down.
  13. TokamakTech

TokamakTech New Member

I'd like to see some left-over planets from the Infinite War, covered in dead units and scavengable resources & tech, some pre-broken planets, moons etc as evidence of the ongoing conflict...
  14. nickgoodenough

nickgoodenough Member

15. denimoflint

denimoflint New Member

Aw damn, it's a shame they're not adding water/lava simulations. i was looking foward to tsunamis and lava falls. :cry: I guess it would have been very hard to create though. Whatever Uber thinks is easier!
  16. cptkilljack

cptkilljack Member

64bit support for 64bit executable files in order to support large amounts of memory like 16GB. Asked durring the stream and Mavor said yes.
  17. sokolek

sokolek Member

!!! THIS TOPIC MUST BE UPDATED !!!
    with new accepted PA features. :D
  18. sokolek

sokolek Member

If they want to make 40 player, multiple planet with moons, star systems with asteroid belts, then I can not imagine this game being less than 64bit. Even Supreme Commander (SupCom) should be 64bit game only. Making SupCom for 32bit Windows was huge mistake. SupCom is crashing because of 32bit Windows memory allocation limits on so called property rich >400km^2 maps. It would be really stupid to focus on 32bit systems during Planetary Annihilation (PA) development. I don't think John Mavor would ever think to make PA 32bit compatible especially when he admitted that SupCom was made too early because home PCs were not ready for it at all when it was released (because there were too many 32bit operatimg systems (o.s.es) on market).
  19. jonneb

jonneb New Member

Suggestion:
    Can we have a command to make the units do the synchronized zombie dance in Thriller?
    I know getting the rights to the music can be hard, so I can just hum it to myself while they gyrate.
  20. sokolek

sokolek Member

It would be better to spend that time & $ on implementing UEF Mavor.