Will there be Ice Planets

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by mindlessuser, September 12, 2012.

1. mindlessuser

mindlessuser New Member

I know that we already reached the goal of water planets, but I was just wondering, does that also cover Ice Planets?
  2. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Kinda the plan yeah.
  3. ToastAndEggs

ToastAndEggs Member

Actually while this is being discussed, will there be water under the ice a that you can have submarines in? Or harvesters mining the ice for fuel cells?

Perhaps a shell of ice on water like on europa, but with breaks in the ice or cryovolcanos that have liquid water that you don't need to process. Something economic and important to harvest and contest over due to the limited supply, forcing the player into a battle to insure they have the upper hand and not their enemy.
  4. Yourtime

Yourtime Member

awesome!
  5. paulzeke

paulzeke Member

I'm more curious if ice thickness and breakage will come into play. If every explosion added to crackage, and dense enough cracks would lead to crevaces, which if spread could start chunking apart the ice ... it would be awesome. Imagine a small ice moon where your ground base keeps shrinking away and you are forced into naval conflict. Maybe even icebergs coming into play? Place a surface-to-orbital ground defense on a roaming iceberg adrift in sea?
  6. Yourtime

Yourtime Member

well he said kinda and not YES COMPLETELY!.. I guess it will be quite simple, like ice maps in TA. Just a texutre and maybe some effects.

I agree, it would be nice, to know if the ice cracks and water is down there, if units would fall into the water or submarine, but I dont want expect too much.
  7. chronoblip

chronoblip Member

It's worth noting that an ice planet may not just be a water planet frozen over, but also just a normal planet that's really really cold.

It's also worth noting that if the fluid on the planet isn't water, then it could still make sense to have both ice and liquid, as only water freezes from the top down.
  8. mindlessuser

mindlessuser New Member

Good to hear that the Devs are looking into it.

But if they are going to the trouble of coding up water, Could we go one step further and also consider the possibility of some planets with highly acidic water. something that troops could traverse but they would start taking damage almost immediately (The deeper they go the faster the damage is inflicted). Would provide for quite an expanded range of strategic possibilities.
  9. jurgenvonjurgensen

jurgenvonjurgensen Active Member

They had those in TA. I don't recall them being very popular.
  10. core188

core188 New Member

Nobody like ice. (Yes people from Canada and Russia but nobody else) It`s cold ohh and it`s cold.
  11. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

Hmmm.... I'm not from Russia or Canada, but I love ice. It keeps my drinks cold and can be used to make slushies.

As for popularity in TA, well, they where just as popular as any other map. There really was no difference between ice maps and other maps, apart from the ones that had ice storms. Really, they where just another texture for the maps, nothing special about them (usually).
  12. sal0x2328

sal0x2328 Member

I think that the idea has merit. It like water that is much/impossible for most units to traverse. You can go in it, but it usually is a bad idea.

That being said I have tried to go naval on acid maps (in TA, vs AI) but that never really worked out well.
  13. rick104547

rick104547 Member

Would be cool if underwater units like submarines would be able to go under the ice
  14. Yourtime

Yourtime Member

well I just read again, even there is no effect or anything at the ice planets..

(taken from the kickstarter description)

Doesn't mean that we cant create one with :D