Unit Ranges Vs Zoom

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by acey195, September 11, 2012.

?

What do you think of unit ranges and zoom levels

1. I want my units to be practically melee range to be able to see everything on one screen.

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. I want to be able to see groups of medium range artillery units firing at each other, without having

15 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. I want to be able to see groups of assault units firing at each other, without having to use icon re

21 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. I just want to be able to see my units firing or the targets, I don't need to see both without using

14 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. I almost never zoom in, Icon representations are fine.

17 vote(s)
    24.3%
  1. acey195

acey195 Member

Ok after reading this topic:
    viewtopic.php?f=61&t=36527

someone asked for a poll, I also disagreed with a large portion of people in that topic, so lets see if that would be the vocal minority.

Edit: This poll concerns how units would behave compared to a zoom level where you could still make up the units from the background, but only just.

Edit2:

O really guys, apparently you do not get my intentions with this poll. Of course I am not against strategic zoom or anything, I am only trying to imagine what would be good to do, without having to use it.

Of course you will use the appropriate zoom level in each situation. This Poll is about what you think you should be able to do when you can still see the units. The maximum you think should be possible without using the icon representations.

Again, I am not against this entire strategic view thing, I just want the game to be playable without it as well.
    Last edited: September 11, 2012
  2. zordon

zordon Member

ding ding ding, we have the worst poll options available in a poll yet.

*edit* wheres the I use the appropriate zoom for the situation option.
  3. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

Agreed.

I mean this guy even has the same option listed twice (second option and fourth one, which is "I want to be able to see groups of medium range artillery units firing at each other, without having to use icon representations. On one screen.")

Plus "I want my units to be practically melee range to be able to see everything on one screen." clearly sounds biased vs people supporting shorter ranges. They do not need to be melee ranged to see everything on one screen either.

Also, there are just too many other options people would want. I don't really like any of the ones listed.
  4. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

This. Half your poll options are nearly impossible to understand.

I can't tell if they list ranges between a certain level of zoom or another, or what?

Also, 'Assault units' implies 'really ******* close combat smash-your-face-in units', not 'gigantic units', which is the sense you seemed to be using it in.

Also you have two repeated poll options.

Also you need to punctuate more often.

Also I'm not a grammar nazi, surprised as you might be.
  5. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

Nah, this poll is bad enough that you would have to be insane to not correct some of those mistakes (like listing the same option twice).
  6. PKC

PKC New Member

Awful.
  7. acey195

acey195 Member

Thx for all the constructive feedback. The poll is now fixed.

I guess something went wrong...

Also, It is really hard to capture this idea as there is no reference. with the options I meant to ask how units would behave compared to a zoom level where you could still make up the units from the background, but only just.
  8. zordon

zordon Member

It's slightly better, but I wouldn't go as far as fixed.
  9. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Yes, I'm still waiting for the "I will use Zoom as appropriate for the Situation" option. That is EXACTLY the reason Strat Zoom is great, the flexibility.

Mike
  10. drtomb

drtomb Member

Zoom as required, definitively
  11. mortiferusrosa

mortiferusrosa Member

Until there is an option that goes along the lines of (zoom like in FA with ability to turn icons on and off at leisure) I cannot select from the options listed. I use zoom all the time and adjust my screen to the level I need to fight whatever battle I am currently in. Zoom in for more tactical control/nice view or zoom out for the strategic planning and moving around the map.
  12. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

fancy tanks are only needed to watch nice replays.
    While playing I would be totally fine with symbols only.
  13. w00j

w00j New Member

No thank you.
  14. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I know that the most extreme view. But for me SupCom is fun just like Chess is fun. And Chesspieces dont need to look good. You just need to be able to separate them from each other.
  15. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Note that he isn't saying it should be the only option, he is simply expressing how he would still find such an experience to be enjoyable. Something which I agree with in theory, but I know it's not the perfect fit for me.

Maybe you could share your opinion with us?

Mike
  16. Recon

Recon Member

Personally I like to be able to see the units fight, but definitely not at the cost of long range combat. I hate how unit ranges are represented in Starcraft for example. I don't know how people can enjoy that. Being able to zoom gives you the best of both. You can zoom in if you want to see your unit. You can zoom out if you want to see the whole battle on the screen. And especially if replays are supported (they better be!) you can always watch the game close up since you don't have to make strategic decisions during a replay.
  17. w00j

w00j New Member

I guess its all just a matter of a opinion. I myself don't find the use of icons fun, for me it really takes away the immersion.
  18. racetrack

racetrack New Member

Is it not obvious why allowing players to zoom that far out is bad?

You are essentially forcing players who don't like to look at icons to choose between enjoyment of the game and not placing themselves at a competitive disadvantage. Obvious fact: RTS games become simpler when you can zoom all the way out and box armies/structures. When you limit a players perspective you ask more of them in order for them to accomplish the same things they could if they had infinite vision in the form of number of actions.

By allowing little Jimmy to zoom all the way out you are not only making the game easier for him, but you're forcing his opponent to do the same unless he wants to be disadvantaged.

Looking at icons is NOT fun for most people. And more importantly, this is NOT SUPREME COMMANDER 3. So don't try force this easy, ridiculous way of playing upon people, because it DOES affect everyone else.
  19. zordon

zordon Member

aaahahaha classic. :lol:
  20. Recon

Recon Member

That's a valid point of course. Regarding the strategic advantage of being zoomed out. But still, starcraft style short range cannons simply suck. Maybe its the way supcom looks when zoomed out that makes it less enjoyable. Is there anything that can be improved here? Perhaps a split screen mode or something?

[edit]
    Actually split screen would really be cool if it could be done well. Like, I would wager most gamers have dual monitors. I don't but hey, I run a 40" Bravia as my monitor so there's that. Still, imagine having it where you could play the game like supcom from the zoomed out view, icons and all - and on the other monitor, you'd see a zoomed in view centered over where your mouse was on the strategic screen. Buffer it for motion so it doesn't jerk around of course. That would be pretty kickass.
    Last edited: September 11, 2012