Unit names

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by lophiaspis, August 30, 2012.

1. lophiaspis

lophiaspis Member

[​IMG]

Many of the unit names in TA/Supcom are good. But for the most part... they could use some work. Let's try to make sure PA's units have the best names possible. IMO unit names should be...

(1) Informational

This game might have more units than TA. There's a significantly higher than zero chance this will leave new players utterly confused. We don't need to simplify the game for newbies but we should do what we can to ease them into it. One way to do that is a unit name that tells you what the unit does, so you're not lost when looking at the unit list. If you have a giant tank, don't call it 'Evil Bob', just call it 'Monster Tank'. You can of course make exceptions to this rule but it should be good for most units.

(2) Consistent

Too many units in TA sound like what a 1990s game designer thought was cool, not what the factions in the game would actually call them. I'm not saying jokes are bad, especially in a more light hearted game like this. But the jokes should still be consistent with the game world such as it is. Again this rule can be bent if someone has a really good joke that won't get annoying.

(3) Awesome

We design weapons so awesome they fall outside the very bounds of technical comprehension, weapons so powerful they can annihilate planets with a mild sneeze. And what do we call them? 'Experimentals'. To be perfectly blunt, that's not very awesome at all! Why not SUPERWEAPONS? Or, hell, UBERWEAPONS! Please try to find the most awesome, iconic name for a given unit niche! Inspired, not generic!

We can use this thread for unit name suggestions. List the unit role (tank, bomber, spiderbot, spy, battleship, worker, giant walker etc...) with a string of names after that. Hopefully some of the best ones will make it into the game. I'll start. Remember, Wiktionary is your friend.

Worker: Assembler, Builder, Constructor, Daemon, Former, Translator.
    Giant walker: Aeonite, Colossus, Talos, Talon, Excubitor, Golem, Titan, Wargod, Demolisher, Devastator, Urod.
    Giant laser: Annihilator, Obliterator, Neutrino Cannon ;).
    Spy: Worm, Trojan, Subverter.
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

If it's a bomber, call it a bomber. Can't get confused by that. Just stick with being informational.
  3. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

"Bomber" is a role, though. Roles should definitely be listed, and should be as short as possible (like "Bomber") in addition to descriptions and other ability info. Names are needed though, as they give personalities, and evoke emotions.

Like in Sup Com, when caught unprepared; "HOLY %$&%^&$^%$ IT'S A MONKEYLORD!!!!". Much better than "HOLY %$&%^&$^%$ IT'S A LARGE LAND ATTACK UNIT".

Even real militaries do it - e.g. "Abrams" Main Battle Tank.
  4. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

I'll concede that it does become a bit silly when you have units like that.

Also, the ambiguity of multiple units with the same/similar roles is a good point.
  5. heatsurge

heatsurge New Member

You can't really go wrong unless you call your units "wilfindja, weedoboth, and buhbledow." :roll:
  6. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

But pleeeeease no "Pulinsmash", "Wilfindja" or "Weedoboth".

Edit: heatsurge beat me to it.
  7. heatsurge

heatsurge New Member

Oh yeah, I forgot the "pullinsmash." That's gotta be the most embarassingly stupid name for a unit in the history of RTS games.
  8. 0ritfx

0ritfx Member

So how about some detailed unit descriptions? Something more useful than what we have received in TA after pressing F1?

Like:
    "Shark" - submarine.
    [tooltip]An advanced Core submarine, equipped in two lethal torpedo launchers.[/tooltip]

"Crescent" - tactical bomber.
    [tooltip]The crescent is a peak of the Arm aerospace technology: stealth and maneuverable, carries a powerful, large-radius bomb and two light lasers to fend off the enemy interceptors.[/tooltip]

This can help to personalize units, to give them more character.
  9. armcommander

armcommander New Member

I loved the Goliath tanks and the Sumo K-bots from TA. Wouldn't mind seeing those return. And the Punisher towers.

For some reason in Supreme Commander, I usually use made up animal names when talking about units with my friends. The monkey lord is simply referred to as a spider. The Megalith becomes a crab when we talk about it, and so on. I guess complex names don't stick.

Some (unoriginal) suggestions:

- Cyclops - Kbot (strong)
    - Tiger - Tank (medium)
    - Sh*t lobber - Artillery
    - Hawk - Air fighter
    - Albatross - Air bomber
    - Elephant gun - Tower
    - Mega Cannon

In TA the units had a lot more character then they did in SupCom, and the TA units were much more memorable. Also unit sounds are important.
  10. rathik

rathik New Member

Just please do not give names like supcom2 has.

"ishootall" is a very shitty name.
  11. Bouncer2000

Bouncer2000 Member

Agree. I loved the unit-, artillery- and laser sounds as well as the alarm when you have been attacked.
  12. jurgenvonjurgensen

jurgenvonjurgensen Active Member

There should be a hard-coded limit to the number of unit names that end in "-er". Like, if it goes over 20%, the game will refuse to load.

TA had the Invader, Shooter, Zipper, Peeper, Brawler, Skeeter, Crusader, Lurker, Ranger, Conqueror, Skimmer, Swatter, Crasher, Freaker, Voyeur, Instigator, Raider, Slasher, Spoiler, Leveller (In that case, five sevenths of the Core T1 Vehicles), Reaper, Deleter, Informer, Executioner, Shredder, Avenger, Searcher, Enforcer, Scrubber, Slinger, Nixer, Defender, Pulverizer, Punisher, Ambusher, Toaster, Annihilator, Flakker, Intimidator, Warrior, Freedom Fighter, Silencer, Retaliator, Fibber and Archer.

While it's not as bad as the SupCom2 Aeon unit naming convention, a little more creativity than just taking an aggressive-sounding verb and sticking -er on the end would be nice.
  13. nlspeed911

nlspeed911 Member

I disagree; those names spund fine enough, mostly. I like them.
    Last edited: August 30, 2012
  14. insanityoo

insanityoo Member

You're exaggerating the problem a bit. Archer, crusader and others are nouns and would be perfectly acceptable names for units.
  15. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

Agreed

Plus, I love TA unit names. Most made it obvious what they did (flakker, flash, defender, informer, etc.). Others where just plain awesome names (the can :)) yet still gave hints to what they did (the can :D).
  16. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

This is an area I think we will use some community ideas. Possibly some polls or contests to name particular units.
  17. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

Lets make the Scathis useful this time.
  18. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

So what does the Polynomial unit do?

Or the Mavor? ;)
  19. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

Hahaha.

The Polynomial is obviously an end game super weapon.

And on second thought, you guys can stay being artillery =D
  20. chronoblip

chronoblip Member

Unit 1: What was that?

Unit 2: I don't know, but I think it intersected with zero multiple times!

Unit 1: Pfft, I intersected zero multiple times with your mother-unit last night.

Unit 2: We came from the same factory, you mouth-venting single-processor exterior cleaning device!

Unit 1: Meh, go divide by zero. Oh no, it's coming back!

Polynomial: Bwahahhaha! Tremble before my MATH!

*end scene*