MMO Aspects such as levelling commander skills and unlocking

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by 0ritfx, August 25, 2012.

?

MMO Aspects:

1. Only visual upgrades.

24 vote(s)
    32.4%
  2. Only clear trade-offs, so that I have a commander that suits my playstyle more (e.g. incapable of fi

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  3. Unit upgrades (e.g. peewee with higher movement rate but lower HP).

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Unlockable units and buildings (Krogoth is something for the adults to play, newbies should learn o

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. Commander upgrades (one would like their commander to be a slow building machine, while others prefe

6 vote(s)
    8.1%
  6. (NO!) nopenopeallofmynope.png

37 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. 0ritfx

0ritfx Member

I think that since the matchmaking is planned, it may be a viable way to go for some MMO-specific features. I present you guys with a way of showing what you think about it.

My personal opinion is that the MMO aspect will both fuel the game development and reward the devoted players.

I also cannot imagine that there are a few ways of introducing this feature:
    -Not introducing it at all.
    -Introducing more specialized unlockables that are not overally more powerfull counterparts of their originals.
    -Introducing unlockables that are clearly more powerful.
    -Some of each.

Last edited: August 27, 2012
  2. ghargoil

ghargoil New Member

Re: MMO Aspects such as levelling commander skills and unloc

What happened to the 'No' option? :|
  3. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

No, never.

I won't bother explaining, I'll just write in short:

- this is unfair for new players
    - makes the game more confusing
    - this will not be a F2P game and this feels heavily gimmicky
    - not fun and worth overall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc
    Last edited by a moderator: August 25, 2012
  4. yinwaru

yinwaru New Member

Poll is useless without a "No way in hell do I ever want those even suggested by the developers, let alone included in the game."

No.
  5. Cryptic1

Cryptic1 New Member

NO!
    Game play is about strategy not some horrible mmo grind to some high level supermech.
    That is all.
    Last edited: August 25, 2012
  6. teju__

teju__ Active Member

This does seem like a terrible idea to be honest.
    Unlockables would really destroy the whole point of being the "smarter" player which is what RTS games are mostly about.
    If a player can gain an advantage before the game even started, it would come down to who played the game longer and unlocked better stuff. That really ruins the whole game in my opinion (I guess most people will agree Edit: oh they already did).

Another edit, just to make this clear:

NOThanks
    Last edited: August 25, 2012
  7. KNight

KNight Post Master General

As others have said, No, This didn't work in a game to game basis in SupCom2, and there's no way it'd work with persistent leveling like in an MMORPG.

Mike
  8. 0ritfx

0ritfx Member

Added!
    Now that gives some clear message :)
  9. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

[​IMG]
  10. mauly

mauly New Member

Levelling is a mechanism to milk money from F2P games. While it's fun to unlock things in a metagame, it doesn't feel right for a game like PA.
  11. thygrrr

thygrrr Member

While I personally think this SHOULD become f2p, or at least offer some kind of "invite a friend for a week" deal, I totally don't like leveling your commander or some **** like that.

I'd probably like ladders / divisions you could get into by playing a certain number of games over a certain period of time (like, the heavy players league and a weekend players league or something), and qualifiers for certain tournaments. But that's about it.
  12. rick104547

rick104547 Member

Commander customalization would be nice (for instance some ppl want a heavy combat commander others want a eco commander). You could unlock modules that can specialize your com (more weapons, buildpower etc.). If done right this wont have much impact on balance but its fun :)
  13. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

I'd rather have it be just cosmetic wise.
  14. Spooky

Spooky Member

I don't like RPG style (SupCom2 style) upgrades for units, buildings and the Commander. This should be left out. Also high tier units should not be unlocked, they should only be buildable in certain buildings etc., just like it was with TA (and I think this is also the way they are going with in PA?)

That being said, I really enjoyed the upgrades you had at your disposal on your ACU in Supreme Commander and Forged Alliance. They were fairly well balanced, often expensive and you had to actually invest resources and while building them, your ACU was out of action. There were so many fun times, where, in the beginning of a match, you and maybe your team mates used specific upgrades on ACUs, to pull off certain things on the front etc.

So again in short, for me: no RPG styles unlocks and levelling for units, buildings or ACUs. But if anything, unique buildable upgrades on your Commander, for which you have to invest resources.
  15. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

Yes only stuff wich you can obtain in-game and wich is gone after wich everyone has access too, but if you really want cosmetic stuff players will just make mods anyway for custom comanders so.
  16. ghargoil

ghargoil New Member

I don't think "nopenopeallofmynope.png" gives a clear message, other than you not being interested in giving dissenting views a serious option on your poll. :|
  17. sstagg1

sstagg1 Member

Let me get this straight:

You'd like to have upgrades that persist across games? Something I could pick, then keep for the next battle?

Absolutely not. Even though it'd be an interesting feature, it just doesn't have a place in this type of game. It'd be a nightmare to balance, and encourage dishonest play (among several other issues).

What if two players constantly fought each other and rigged the game to level just one of them. Then went into public matches and completely dominated? Would that be fair?

Even if you nerfed all the upgrades into oblivion, they'd not only be a useless reward to spend time getting, but all still present hurdles of balancing however slight.

This should be the ultimate "STRATEGIC" game, based entirely upon the player, and not on what equipment they start with. With everyone starting on an equal footing, all wins will be the direct result of skill, and not some potential imbalanced perk that one player has that the other does not.

EDIT: I agree with ghargoil. The 'no' option is a little ridiculous.
  18. KarottenRambo

KarottenRambo Member

Yes, but only visual unlocks, nothing that gives you any advantage/disadvantage in the game.

Relic introduced with Dawn of War II an visual upgrading, your units will look cooler when you have earned a certain amount of points in the game (through playing it) and I loved it.
    Here as an example, Chaos Space Marines:

This is the default look
    [​IMG]

The first upgrade(additional thorns and stings everywhere)
    [​IMG]

The second (and last) upgrade, where the unit reaches a badassery level that your enemy will **** his pants already when he is just seeing them.
    [​IMG]

Dawn of War II had such upgrades for every unit in the game, for PA it would clearly be enough if just the commander had those unlocks.

EDIT: No, the commander visual upgrades don't have to be additional thorns and skulls. :lol:
  19. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

As a knee jerk reaction i felt very no. but then as i thought about it i became even more very no. but then i saw the commander only one and thought that if it was done in such a way that doesn't make the commander more powerfull but just a little more like what you want so everything is a trade off that could work. But still mostly no.
  20. thefirstfish

thefirstfish New Member

The way ZK handles this is that there are 4 different types of commander chassis that deplete starting resources slightly more or less.

These 4 commanders can be upgraded by morphing, which costs resources, to levels 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. Each upgrade level adds a set of modules which are preselected by the user for that commander. The cost of each upgrade depends on the module loadout of the commander.

Modules include weapons (primary and special e.g. d-gun), radar, armour, speed upgrades, and things like shields, radar jammers, and resurrection nanolathes. Balance is achieved by making the commander modules always a bit more expensive than a unit that does the same job. Level 5 commanders can be quite powerful though (but expensive).