[REFERENCE] Custom Planet Types & Enabling Them In Editor

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by sneakyness, July 25, 2013.

1. sneakyness

sneakyness Member

[​IMG]

Getting Weird With Planets:

1) Navigate to \PA\media\pa\terrain

The five json files you see are the planet types that shipped with this build. All of the folders are the biomes which make up a given planet type.

Annihilation Protip: Use http://www.jsonlint.com to make all of the JSON files easy to read. Additionally, you can use this website to make sure your files are valid (check if you start getting crashes)

2) Make a copy of one of the default planet types, name it after your favorite brand of toothpaste

3) Change stuff! Copy paste chunks from other planet types, mix and match, go hogwild!!1!

There are no wrong answers, unless they crash the editor! :lol:

I have no idea what is or isn't allowed, or what the values even mean. Look at all of the files in terrain to see what you can get away with.

How To Enable The Custom Planet Type In Planet Editor:

1) Edit line 46 of PA\media\ui\alpha\system_editor\system_editor.js to include your new planet type
    Code:
    self.biomes = ko.observableArray(['earth', 'lava', 'metal', 'moon', 'tropical', 'colgate']);
    2) Enjoy!

[​IMG]

You can't play games with these planets. As far as I know it's a server thing so it'll have to wait until we get custom servers ;)

Additional Resources

Attached Files:

Quitch likes this.
  2. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

3. allister

allister Active Member

Trying to make my own planet and it looks like this no longer works. system_editor.js is no longer in
    Planetary Annihilation\media\ui\alpha\system_editor
    but I found it in
    Planetary Annihilation\media\ui\main\game\system_editor
    I found the self.biomes = ko.observableArray(['earth', 'lava', 'metal', 'moon', 'tropical', 'gas']); at line 424 in the file and added my planet 'meadow' but it does not show up in the system editor. I would love to see all these planet and biome guides updated now that we're at release :).
  4. wondible

wondible Post Master General

That's odd; Hidden Biomes and Devastated Metal both append to that array.

A common point of confusion is that the array is available in the biome type drop-down, but it doesn't create the planet templates at the bottom of the screen, those are separate.