[REL] Add More Planets, Stats Panel to Planet Editor - 51118

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by sneakyness, July 25, 2013.

1. sneakyness

sneakyness Member

This gives you the same panel you can access by pressing P during a game.

In PA\media\ui\alpha\system_editor\system_editor.js at line 130, add:
    Code:
    self.toggleStatsPanel = function() { engine.call('game.toggleStatsPanel'); }
    Then, at line 201, add:
    Code:
    Mousetrap.bind('p', model.toggleStatsPanel);
    The SEED value is what causes the editor to generate different planets. This build ships with a small range, from 1 to 32767. I've already played all those :lol:, so I wanted to add some more. Here's how you do it:

around line 150 or so, make the following change:
    Code:
        $("#slider_seed").slider({
            range: "max",
            min: 0,
            max: 32767*20000,
    Now you have 655,340,000 seeds (planet variations) to choose from! :mrgreen:

Annihilation Protip: you can click on the numbers in the planet editor to type values in, I had no idea

Attached Files:

2. mrkroket

mrkroket Member

Re: [REL] Add More Planets, Stats Panel to Planet Editor - 5

Well, the best thing is to guess/search/ask the byte size of this value, and then use the max.
    Probably it's one of these
    2^16-1
    2^32-1
    2^64-1

Probably it's a 32bytes long variable, so you theorically can have 4294967295 (+1, the zero) different seeds.
    Even with that, maybe the game logic doesn't take all the values for its calculations, it's something to check.
  3. sneakyness

sneakyness Member

Nope! It's Number.MAX_VALUE, which is 1.79769*10^308. I figured we don't need that many yet :lol:
  4. mrkroket

mrkroket Member

Yet :lol:
    So it's a double number, weird.
  5. sneakyness

sneakyness Member

additionally, we could use something like https://github.com/MikeMcl/bignumber.js/ to have seriously ridiculously huge numbers :twisted:
  6. jacoby6000

jacoby6000 Member

That wouldn't work the way you think it would. Remember, any numbers that are in the javascript will end up having to be used on the server/in planet generation at some point. This means that using non-generic types that have dependencies (big numbers) wouldn't work. Number.MAX_VALUE is your best bet.

Though, you may want to experiment with making the seed range from Number.MIN_VALUE to Number.MAX_VALUE, rather than 0 being the minimum. Your range will end up being 1.79769*10^308 * 2 - 1. However, negative numbers might just break the universe, or might just make exact mirrors of their absolute value counterpart. You never know! But with universe breakage at risk, it's probably worth trying.
  7. sneakyness

sneakyness Member

That was assuming you did the same thing on the other side, but yeah.

Edit: I've seen some comments in the source about passing large numbers to js as a string because of this limitation. I think the max for the server would be the max 64 bit uint??
  8. jacoby6000

jacoby6000 Member

I doubt they'd allocate that large a number for just a seed, but we won't know til the server is released. All we can do is jack with it and see what happens!