[WIP] Leap Motion interface

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by tatsujb, July 23, 2013.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No5Q2-IUZ4M
    I've tested it and it's half possible to place structures and order units around and one fith possible to pan.

I'm convinced this might be done correctly by UBER but I want this durring Alpha and beta.

I signed up as a Leap Motion Developper but I really lack skill so I need someone or some people :) to team up with me.

Goals:
    -fluent panning/rotation/view interface similar to google earth's
    -algo for less box select and more click select
    -algo that tells appart a click simply off to the side of a unit an selects unit for a click really aimed at deselecting.
  2. jacoby6000

jacoby6000 Member

I saw this thing forever ago and totally forgot about it. I'm all for helping out, if not just fiddling around with it. I just ordered one, actually.

EDIT:
    If we/you/whoever does this right, it could end up being very much like an Ender's Game style game.

EDIT2:
    Upon inspecting the Leap-Motion api, this looks like it will be pretty easy to implement. The only concern is accuracy. My thinking, is that to place a building or other precision activities, the player would hold up 3 or more fingers. The position of the building could then be placed using the average vector from all 3 vectors. This way, with 3 fingers it would theoretically be 3 times more stable, as the error produced from shaking would be divided by 3, for each finger.

Moving around the planet could be done with panning motions, rotate the globe about the r (radius) axis with the twist of a wrist...

Could even enable multi-hand gestures.

I like this

Edit3:
    If the controls aren't done through javascript, we may have to use a seperate application to feed keys into PA. I haven't looked into the interface very much.
  3. tatsujb

didn't see your post there.
  4. superouman

superouman Post Master General

While watching some Zaphod's match VODs, i saw he often uses the free camera. I really like that point of view but the control aren't the best with the keyboard and mouse.

I thought it could be easier to move the camera for the observer with a Leap Motion. I might be totally wrong though.
  5. jacoby6000

jacoby6000 Member

Yeah, something I've considered is using the Google maps flyover style controls that leap motion has for the free cam. But with stuff like this, you don't know if it's good until you try it. Luckily I get my leap motion controller in the mail later today and will actually be able to start testing stuff.

My main focus is going to be stabilization, though.
  6. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Is this still being worked on?
  7. tatsujb

I still have hopes for this. Jacoby left the project and is busy with school for now but I hope to get him back.

In the meantime I have teamed up with noah huppert, but the issue is me this time, as I've started school and have much less time.

I was supposed to save weekends for it but currently I want to work on the tutorial video project first.

I'm glad there's still understanding of how big this could be, this could revolutionize the face of RTS gaming forever.
    I encourage you to try PA with a combo of GameWave and airinput (well configured of course, and airinput being the primary tool. ) and you'll find you're not far from what you need. (also check out enghis first)
  8. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

cool! Thanks for the update!
  9. mrchris2000

mrchris2000 Member

Guys, where is the github for this project?
  10. tatsujb