Planetary Aggregation

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by orion732, May 13, 2013.

1. orion732

orion732 New Member

SO, since it is possible to mount engines on asteroids (and maybe planets too), would it be possible to put things in orbit around other things? Like instead of getting an asteroid to crash into another planet, you could use it as a mobile firing base, travelling from planet to planet and using orbital drop troops and artillery to bombard and capture a planet. That might be a viable tactic, as it would save you time developing a base on a hostile planet.

Also, would ramming an asteroid into a planet simply result in destruction? What if you could cause two objects to gently collide with each other, and get them to stick together? And then use this method to grow a super-planet, made out of multiple other planets. Kind of like in Solar 2. This latter idea is probably a stretch (Ok, it's definitely a huge stretch), but that might be something neat.
  2. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

Technically, smooshing planets together should be possible - you just end up with a lopsided planet!

It would be a cool effect if a large asteroid landed and instead of vaporising entirely it leaves a giant mountain in the middle or something..
  3. blocky22

blocky22 Member

Adding a super structure to a planet. Like a massive defensive ring. Sounds look.

Maybe this could an argument for and balancing the Mega bot(s).

I'm a terrible artist so I googled.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  4. orion732

orion732 New Member

That would be neat, if you could get asteroids to orbit your planets to use as defense stations.
  5. lapantouflemagic

lapantouflemagic Active Member

building superstructures around a planet may sound cool or whatever, but i have to say that it is more than completely impossible to build.

i mean, do you have any idea of the amount of metal required for this ? just one percent of the "ring" one would be the size of an entire country made entirely of steel, you'd have to drain the planet's core, and i'm not talking of the construction time or even how to build it.

it would be kind of fun to smash planets into each other, but i don't think it is really possible (even though the planets are relatively small) except maybe if you cover half of the planets with reactors and the other half with power plants, maybe.

however, i wonder what happens if you smash an asteroid into an other one, do they just disintegrate ? or everything on their surface gets destroyed / severely damaged and the two asteroids are fused into a bigger one ? and if we do it enough times, will that make a new planet ? or maybe one gets ejected out of its orbit and gets lost forever in the infinite emptiness of space ?
  6. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

What if it was a ring made of PeeWees? Those are probably cheaper than just raw steel.
  7. blocky22

blocky22 Member

Just make yield from a 'metal spot' infinite.

Remember time span of a Multiplayer game is still untested so we dont really know how good or bad idea this idea may be to implement.
  8. treign

treign Member

This idea alone could make or break the game for me. I want all options on the table. There are a lot of us out there that have a myriad of configurations for our very own Deathstars. A Deathstar will not be possible unless it can enter an orbit around its desired target instead of smashing into it at an astronomical rate of speed. Otherwise it is simply just another flying rock or falling meteor.
  9. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Considering that in early interviews Neutrino comments about potentially being able to use asteroids as orbiting fire bases or reinforcement points leads one to believe they're at least considering the possibility, how it'll pan out in gameplay we don't really know until they they the orbital stuff implemented and we try our best to break it.

Mike
  10. tgslasher

tgslasher New Member

That's probably why there is a large chunk of that planet missing in the third image. Giant ring has been harvested out of the planet.