Battle for the Sun

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by v41gr, April 25, 2013.

1. v41gr

v41gr Member

Will it be possible to fight on the sun? i know that it's almost impossible due to the fact of high temperature; but imagine a battle where you can blow up the sun; then the battle will take place in an endless night.
  2. christopher1006

christopher1006 Member

They mentioned somewhere that they just wanted to have the sun be more of an object that's just there rather than having it be something you could destroy. I wouldn't mind though seeing the ability to build varying levels of energy harvesters around the sun though for massive energy boosts.
  3. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

No. Do you know how hot the surface of Sol is?

Everything's a Gas... even metals... Metals aren't even Liquid on Sol. They wish they could be cool enough to be liquids, but they ain't.
    They's GASEOUS YO!

The Area immediately surrounding Sol (the Corona) rises to a temperature of 1,000,000–2,000,000 degrees kelvin. Anything you throw at Sol would burn up before it even got close. Carbon... the hardest element to melt becomes liquid at a mere 3800 kelvin, boiling into a gas at 4300 kelvin. You can't get near Sol, not even in a ship made entirely of diamonds!

And don't talk to me about shielding, because that's not even slightly confirmed within the game yet (if ever).

Besides, this topic was already asked. You even posted in it.
    Last edited: April 25, 2013
  4. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

You know you want to blow up the sun Nanolathe...

You know you want to...

._.
  5. shandlar

shandlar Member

Nano, you are correct in almost everything there, but the 'surface' of the sun is only 6000 degrees. The corona is measures in the millions due to the fact that there is so much energy and so little mass for it to be spread across. This is a more scientific definition of temperature that laymen don't really use.

'Average kinetic energy'.

Interesting fact, we know its 6000 degrees due to the color of light given off, heated matter gives off different colors at different temps, hense yellow/orange/blue flame have different temperatures here on earth. When the sun gets 'hot spots' that exceed the normal temperature we see them as a lack of color (black spots known as sunspots) because they are too hot to produce EM in the visible light spectrum.
  6. nanolathe

How do you propose you get through the '1,000,000 - 2,000,000 barrier of heat' that is the Corona then?

6000k is nothing to sneeze at either. Carbon Diamonds are still a GAS at that temperature! :p

Even Tungsten doesn't stand up... or even puddle... it's a Gas too!
  7. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

It's probably liquid in the center. Look at earth.
  8. Pluisjen

Pluisjen Member

If I'm not mistaken you can divert plasma using a magnetic energy field. It's the same trick they use in the experimental nuclear fusion reactors that are being built. Supercharged plasma follows the lines of a magnetic field, so you can use it to contain plasma inside even if it's millions of degrees.

I would guess that you can do the same to guide the plasma around a colder object so you can dive into the sun. If you have a strong enough magnet, anyway.
  9. nanolathe

Erm... the Core of Sol is a staggering 15.7 million degrees kelvin. It may be dense in there (about 150 times the density of water on Earth) but it's still so hot that everything is a Gas.

Sol is a ball of gas guys. It's all Gas, all the time!

---

Seriously... Magnets?
    You think there's anything you can magnetise to the point of pushing the heat of the Sun out of the way?

Seriously?

Oh Science, we have truly bastardised you Six ways from Sunday this day.
  10. thapear

thapear Member

First, there is no way (other than some sci-fi heat shields) to have anything survive in the sun. Even if you manage to keep the gas away from your object, you'll still need something to stop the (heat) radiation or it'll melt anyway.

Second, this kind of mechanic would be way too expensive for Uber to make. You'd have to have the visual effects, the units to do this (very specific) thing, and the optimization needed to make this run smoothly (if at all).

And the awesome vs realism argument doesn't apply here, since this'd break my immersion to the point of quitting.
    Last edited: April 25, 2013
  11. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

It would be far more reasonable to fight in the upper atmosphere of a gas giant, which is already a blistering hot and soul crushing hellscape.
  12. nanolathe

Jupiter is not fun to be inside. No-siree-bob.

Hell... the Radiation suffused magnetosphere is bad enough.
  13. endingcredits

endingcredits New Member

Actually the centre of the sun is more of a plasma than a gas.
  14. nanolathe

Actually the entirety of Sol is Plasma.

Plasma is Ionised Gas. It's a different state of matter by technicality. Plasma is still gaseous.
  15. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

But we've still had probes survive entering the gas giant's atmosphere, for nearly an hour, with flimsy human tech! Just check it out. Nothing that probe came across is even remotely dangerous to a PA kill machine, yet it's a big enough layer to have some serious war engines.
  16. nanolathe

I'm well aware of that. I'm just saying I wouldn't want to orbit Jupiter for too long. :p
    "The Power of the Sun... in the palm of my hand."
  17. numptyscrub

numptyscrub Member

And ions (charged particles) can be affected by electrical and magnetic fields. Electromagnetic radiation (e.g. infra-red) can also be affected by electric and magnetic fields.

Ref. your previous quote about using "magnets" to push away the heat of the Sun, yes, it is entirely implausible, however not impossible based on science as we understand it. Just so bloody difficult that it's easier to dismiss the concept rather than bother doing the maths to work out how strong the magnetic field(s) would have to be, and therefore what ridiculous amount of energy would be needed to maintain them (or how hostile the in-ship environment would be to any metallic entity) ;)

Also technically I thought plasma is referred to as a fluid (as are gases and liquids) but is not considered gaseous. While the plasma state shares some properties with the gaseous state, IIRC it also has enough unique properties of it's own to distinguish it from gases. Physics is only a hobby of mine though, so I may be missing something important.
  18. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Gas molecules typically still have all their electrons in sensible orbitals. Plasmas... not so much.
  19. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

Which results in all kinds of crazy fun and much more complex behavior, so they defined as being a totally different state of matter, because they behave quite definitely.
  20. nanolathe

They behave differently, yes. I'm trying to talk about HEAT here, not plasma behaviour.

As for Magnets being used to push away heat; It's practically impossible, that is; not possible in the practical sense. It is impossible insomuch that it is not possible to create a magnet with the strength to push aside what Sol is kicking out short of...

well, actually; A planet sized object with an active magnetosphere and atmosphere. Kinda how Earth does it. However; move Earth around too much, stop its rotation or strip it of its atmosphere and you'd end up with a blasted rock not unlike Mars. Mars used to have water... liquid water. But for some reason, it stopped having enough mantle activity (the rise and fall of heavy metals below the crust) that its magnetosphere just weakened to the point that it no longer provided a shield against Sol's vicious solar wind. First the atmosphere... then everything else, burnt away.

Now Earths magnetic Field may not be powerful (it's only about 58 microTeslas or 580 microGauss) but it is BIG.... really really big.

Then again that's all to do with Solar Wind... not heat... and if you think the Earth's Magnetosphere is deflecting much of Sol's heat away from us then... I don't know what to tell you anymore :? other than the Earth is trapping more heat than the Sun puts out at this distance. That's why space is cold, and yet the Earth is warm (in a relative sense)

Electromagnetism doesn't really have that much effect on temperatures that are THAT hot. What we're developing now are superconductors to deal with re-entry heat... not getting to within spitting distance of the Sun.

Not to mention that as you heat up a magnet... it stops working.