Can't launch steam version of PA.

Discussion in 'Support!' started by sokolek, June 14, 2013.

1. sokolek

sokolek Member

"Could not contact the Steam client. Is it running?" <--message that pops up when launching PA.exe (even when launched through steam). Of course I have 64bit CPU and 64bit windows.

How to solve this problem?
    Last edited: June 14, 2013
  2. dbiton

dbiton Member

Pinned to the steam forums.
  3. sokolek

sokolek Member

Where?
  4. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Putting the thread here. Please don't post in threads that say "don't ask questions in this thread". :) As for the exact problem, you'll need to provide more details.

You're attempting to launch with Steam? Or just running the PA.exe?
  5. sokolek

sokolek Member

It doesn't matter. It happens reagardless of launching method. I got this message when I start it with steam or when I double click PA.exe. It always happens. I found another person who has the same problem. THX for focusing on my problem. I just wander if it has something to do with file paths (with certain charactesr or spaces etc.)
  6. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

So our guys are saying this is because you have steam running but aren't properly logged into it (potentially). Can you check this?
  7. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I just double checked the code and steam is basically bailing on us in this case. There is literally nothing we have control over here.

code:
    if (!SteamAPI_Init())
    platform->fatalError("Could not contact the Steam client. Is it running?");
  8. sokolek

sokolek Member

Thanks again for taking care of my issue.

What you mean we did not properly log on to Steam? I am always online and connected to Steam when Steam starts.

Attached Files:

9. sokolek

sokolek Member

Squish Steam!!! Terror them to fix it!!! ;)
  10. Causeless

Causeless Member

Uh oh. I really hope this won't affect the DRM free version...
  11. parrishdm

parrishdm New Member

I seem to have the same thing happening with Steam. The play button does nothing. I went through your steps to properly link my Seam account with my Uber account and I appears to have worked. Still nothing with the play button on Steam. Then I find out Steam.exe is in XP sp2 compatibility mode??? Which I never set. I have uninstalled PA, and reinstalled the game from PA Launcher. Then I get that stupid Direct X 9 .dll missing message, I am running Windows 7 64-bit Direct X 11 what is going on with this?? I am going to try downloading the game through Steam once more. I wish I had never linked to Steam.
  12. ogogov

ogogov New Member

To fix this issue, go to Microsoft's website and download the latest DirectX redist - running PA from the steam launcher does not generate an error message, nor does it automatically install directX yet.

It solved the issue for me.
  13. parrishdm

parrishdm New Member

It works now through both PA Launcher and Steam.