Alpha Offline

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by slimspanky, June 11, 2013.

1. slimspanky

slimspanky New Member

Hey guys,

I live in Australia so I'm not expecting to be able to play on the Uber servers. However, if I do purchase alpha, will I be able to play it offline or host my own server to play with friends?

Thanks in advance
  2. asgo

asgo Member

currently you can only play online on the official servers.

if I remember correctly, they want to release the server somewhere in alpha/beta, which would make local LAN and offline game possible, but there is no official timetable for it.
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Server side of game won't be publicly available before release - it's current statement of Uber. They might change it one day, but for now you only might play on their server.

But I think it's possible that you may get better server later. Servers I played before on were physically from Amazon EC2 and SoftLayer services, so Uber use cloud or dedicated servers from these companies.

Amazon got datacenter in Australia and SoftLayer got one in Singapore (you ping to this one should be much better to EU/USA). So technically it's easy for Uber to run server for Australia players, if there is enough players.
  4. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I think they (neutrino or garat) said that server might be released earlier if they decide so, but for now I'm personally strictly against early server side release. Currently Uber host games on own servers, so they need to pay for them. For them it's really important reason to make server code extremely efficient. Own servers also give them much more control and debug information, so it's easy to find bottlenecks.

Probably server optimization won't be first priority if servers were hosted by the community. Even for non popular games there is usually much more servers than a players. :)
  5. asgo

asgo Member

that was the statement I had in mind.

sure, getting any kind of reliable performance data on servers is far easier for them, when they are running them themselves (known hardware, software config, all the logs you want).
    Also, the server itself probably isn't that touchy, when it comes to running on different hardware (at least it doesn't have to deal with the more irritating differences in GPU hardware), so it probably isn't a priority to test it on as many systems you can.
  6. kiingy

kiingy New Member

I'm from Australia as well, the delay is quite horrid due to no local servers.

I'm sitting out till they release the server client, give it a try though, you might find it playable.
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Probably you need to ask Uber directly about Australian servers, try send them email: info@uberent.com
    Otherwise there is no guarantee that topic will be visited by person from Uber who might give exact answer or setup server. They really overloaded and it's hard to read everything on forums.

PS: Or rename this topic to something like "We need Australian server". ;)
  8. kiingy

kiingy New Member

Will be a waste of time, long given up trying to convince game devs to give Australian servers. It never happens.

One day...
  9. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I don't have link to posts, but I can remember some devs writing that they do have plans for Australian servers.
  10. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Don't think like that, just try. Did you see tons of games that support Mac and even Linux? Did you see many games where developers is actually playing with their fans? So Uber is other kind of devs.

You (and other people who give pledge or make pre-order) actually helped to make this game possible. Uber is really responsible developers and they answer all questions if they have answer. Technically (if Uber got some automation scripts) new region of servers might be added with few simple actions.

If there will minimum required amount of players you will get AU server.
  11. ubermaugustine

ubermaugustine Uber Alumni

We will have servers in Australia (Sydney) soon.
  12. veta

veta Active Member

nice
  13. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

We have a couple of Australian members in our community - they report no problems with connectivity at all. Ping of maybe 100 or so, which isn't crippling for an RTS.
  14. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Could you please ask them to ping/tracert game servers?

You might done it like that:
    • Press "~" when you in game
    • Find "INFO Connect to 111.222.333.444:9000 worked.", grab IP from here
    • Open Command Promt in Windows
    • tracert 111.222.333.444
    • ping 111.222.333.444
    • CTRL+C to stop ping
    • Right mouse click -> Mark
    • Chose all command line output.
    • Now press "Enter", it's copy all text
    • Now put it here.
    That might be helpful for other AU players.
  15. antillie

antillie Member

I would do a series of 100 pings "ping -n 100 111.222.333.444" instead of the default of four. (-n on Windows, -c on Linux) This makes it much easier to spot packet loss and when combined with a trace route is something of a standard troubleshooting step in the network engineering world.

You don't have to copy all of the actual pings, just the statistics at the end.
  16. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Probably I always live in countries with very good internet, so I actually never think about packet loss. Happy me!

Sometimes it hard to explain to non-IT people what they need to copy from ping output. For them it's just mess of symbols and numbers.
  17. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Uber's other game (Super Monday Night Combat) has AUS servers so there is hope for PA.
  18. sabetwolf

sabetwolf Member

This makes me very happy. Servers in a nice location means far better connecton
  19. corteks

corteks Active Member

Awesome. I've only played a few games but I'm in Western Australia and there didn't seem to be that much lag playing on either the US or Europe servers for me. Still yet to play a long game though, hopefully tonight!
  20. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

There have been a number of complaints about horrible lag from people all over which I suspect is partially to do with a bug in the game I hope will be fixed in a near future release.

I'd be very interested to see if people still experience issues with serious lag once that fix goes in.