A Question About Clouds

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by themindlessone, April 7, 2013.

1. themindlessone

themindlessone Member

After looking at the water/ice biome art

[​IMG]

this got me thinking about what if any types of clouds we will see in the game (if any).

Now clouds could obviously pose quite a problem to playing the game by obscuring your view. so it might make a lot of sense not to show any clouds when you are out in space, looking directly towards the ground.

But if your at ground level, and you change the orientation of your view so that it now looks upwards, rather than just looking out into space, it might be nice to see the atmosphere & clouds at that point.

my question to the game devs is: Are the clouds we see in the biome concept art just artistic flare, or is that actually a game feature that you are looking to implement?
  2. veta

veta Active Member

wasn't mentioned in the pitch video so not likely

i agree it'd be neat if weather affected air units somehow or simply posed a pathing obstacle
  3. themindlessone

themindlessone Member

Thats not what I'm thinking, if anything it should just be a Skybox/Skydome painted far in the distance, so that it doesn't obscure any units.
  4. veta

veta Active Member

like in supcom?
  5. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

You could also show the cloud layer when you are zoomed out looking at like the whole planet - too far away to be controlling your units individually.

Then make strategic icons show through clouds obviously.
  6. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Huh. I wonder how the graphic engine will be able to handle atmospheres. Skyboxes are for games where you never leave the surface. In PA, you're expected to reach outer space.
  7. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

I don't think it's that hard - you just fade from a planetary skybox to a space one depending on where the camera is.
  8. drtomb

drtomb Member

There will be no clouds, its been said a number of times. Besides, thats a concept image, its VERY far from the end product.
  9. Causeless

Causeless Member

Said where?