Smart robots....

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by syox, March 8, 2013.

1. syox

syox Member

...shut down mexes or energy plants when storage is full.
  2. krashkourse

krashkourse Member

that would be dumb. why not just have them run the whole time. i understand you want more energy for other things. but if that is the case you should just build more energy. none of your storage should ever be full save maybe energy some times. and when that happens you shouldn't need to shut down any thing.
  3. taihus

taihus Member

...build more storage before it fills up/make more factories/don't end up in that situation in the first place.
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Effectively when you run out of strange space this is essentially what happens anyway.

Funnelling resources into waste due to lack of storage and spending could actually benefit from having such power dependant structures automatic switch off.

But that would also require a part of the UI to display the real max value that your economy can produce.
  5. drsinistar

drsinistar Member

If I may ask, how so?
  6. igncom1

Well if you run into a situation where you would be producing enough mass to fill up your storage and go to waste, then your mass extractors would turn off as to not waste their energy in being on.

But like I said, could.
  7. syox

syox Member

i was more thinking about the animations.
  8. drsinistar

drsinistar Member

Oh wow, I completely misread your sentence. I thought you meant that wasting energy to waste mass was a good thing. :roll:

I actually agree, I don't see how this hurts being implemented. It's not like mexes have a start up time before they can extract.
  9. bubba41102

bubba41102 Member

it makes no sense energy is always flowing out so why in the world would you turn it off unless it is highly damaged and second why turn off mexes by them selves instead of just turning them off when i dont know YOU ARE RUNNING OUT OF POWER
  10. igncom1

You mistake the point buddy, the idea isn't to have them switch off when you have a power deficit, but to free up power when you are wasting metal generation from not having enough storage.

And you don't switch off power unless for defensive purposes like TA's solar generators who gained a considerable resistance to damage in a packed up state.
  11. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

So then turn them off. In this case *you* are the smart robot.
  12. igncom1

Why flick 100 switches when I could have them switch themselves?
  13. neutrino

Why do anything? Why not just have the AI play the game for you? That seems to be the direction a lot of people are asking for. Auto-econ management is basically AI.
  14. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

If metal storage is full, you're already on the fast track to losing. Why waste AI routines on a strategy so inherently bad it can't end in any other way than failure? If your storage is full, the game should be SCREAMING at you to spend it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There are no power plant designs that need to turn off. Perhaps a "metal -> energy" generator might exist as a way to create huge amounts of energy, but that's a tale for another thread.
    Last edited: March 9, 2013
  15. igncom1

:lol: wow, wasn't expecting a reaction like that I must say.
  16. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

Yeah... why playing games at all? Why go to work? Why eat? Why live? Why ask? Why why?
  17. qwerty3w

qwerty3w Active Member

Reasons can only be found in yourself.
  18. neutrino

Sorry, people have been harping on this priority stuff for a while now and I'm getting sick of the topic. It's not happening, I don't think it's a good choice for the game.
  19. acey195

acey195 Member

surely it would be possible to create mods for this?
    I personally understand both standpoints:

On one hand you want to appeal to the hard core Supcom/TA players who find a good challenge in maximizing their economy,

but on the other hand the game's economy should in my opinion not be stronger than your actual opponent :p, I recall CT saying a lot of people got defeated by the economy system of Supcom, instead of actual opponents, which was probably why he went for a simpler approach in Supcom2, which indeed appealed to a totally different audience if I am correct.

Never should you want to automate everything, but every choice with only one right answer is not really a choice, I personally do not see the point in requiring players pressing buttons when there is not really an alternative action that would be sensible.
    But then again, that is just my opinion :p
  20. krashkourse

krashkourse Member

Please do not put this in the game make it more for players who remember to manage their econ better. if you don't want to manage it don't build it.