Death Inc: Innovative RTS Control Scheme

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by themindlessone, February 5, 2013.

1. themindlessone

themindlessone Member

I just spotted a new RTS up on kickstarter called Death Inc.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/229423802/death-inc

If you check out their first vid, they present a very unique way of allowing the user just paint the paths that you want your army to follow, or for gesturing to issue specific commands to your army, like retreat or regroup etc.

It really does look like a revolutionary way to control your forces, and looks really intuitive and easy to pick up.

So my question is, could we get a control scheme like that in planetary annihilation? or maybe have it as an optional secondary control scheme.

What do you guys think? would it be a good fit for PA, or is it better to stick with tried & tested?
  2. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I plan on sticking with tried and tested. I think people would get pretty pissed off if we completely changed the control scheme when we've been pretty clear about direction.
  3. ftwrobert

ftwrobert New Member

Doesn't shift clicking accomplish the same thing? Aside from looking as "pretty" as the video does.

In SubCom/FA, I would often lay out my own path to ensure units always went the way I wanted them to. (or to offmap bombers >:D )
  4. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

oh! the mouse track idea its amazing.
  5. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

What's this mouse taking you are referring to?

The way it looks,
    The path is just "shift+click" , but with some smoothing thrown in.

And "click+drag" for a highlighted route.
    Which is just like current control scheme, but a lot of clicking.

I don't think it should change.
    The current system is very precise.

But it looks like it would be a very interesting mod.
  6. byrnghaer

byrnghaer Active Member

Door Kickers does something similar, where you paint the path your troops need to follow.
    That being a SWAT-oriented game, it works because now you can control the effectiveness of troops entering a room down to the millisecond. Their maps are simply a single building or a few though, so it works there.
    But for a game like PA, I don't think it would be that good of an idea. Simply holding shift and clicking is much better and faster, painting a path across a planet takes too much time.