Lobby Please!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Scyn, November 23, 2012.

1. Scyn

Scyn New Member

I'm only going to say this because I've watched a lot of recent RTS games come and go quicker than they can be recognized as a good game. RTS games are about community, if you don't have a way for people to smack talk each other, discuss things casually, or even meet people and form friendly matches, then this will be a miserable attempt. The game should be a social network as well. I think we can all agree if the original SupCom's community would not have lasted so long if not for the community that came there every day just to be around people they could call allies, enemies or even.. friends.

Make it happen gentleman.

From your old friends: Scyn, TimmyFred, RapierX, Brn4meplz, Cauldr0n
  2. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Yes, we already have an XMPP backed chat infrastructure as part of UberNet as well as a bunch of different kinds of matchmaking. Mix in the galactic war and all of the new stuff we're building and there will be a lot of ways to play the game.
  3. Scyn

Scyn New Member

Alrighty then. Love you guys. Looking forward to Alpha.
  4. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Hi Scyn, good to see you guys are interested in PA. You can check out the chat system neutrino mentioned in SMNC. Why not give it a whirl, it's free after all?
  5. Bhaal

Bhaal Active Member

I like external chat like GPGnet or ForgedAllianceForever a lot more. You can do everything while waiting for people to show up or chatting with others.
  6. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

^^^ Agreed. It's much better to have the pre-game chat in a separate window so that your computer isn't unusable while you're waiting.
  7. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

An international channel lobby chat would be cool too. Company of Heroes has this feature.
    You select a channel and then you can chat with all people in the same channel even if you are in a game lobby you can acces this chat.
  8. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

yes, totally, we need a chat that can be used while being in a game lobby. :!:
  9. pureriffs

pureriffs Member

And we will be able to host custom games? not just quickmatch all the time like in SC2?
  10. paprototype

paprototype Member

All we need is some sort of IRC channel to chat.

It is great to be able to join the chat WITHOUT the game client but with just a very basic program which makes it able to run on very minimal hardware. (netbook, phone, whatever)
    This makes it possible to stay in contact with the community even when you are abroad/traveling/working/studying/...
  11. zordon

zordon Member

12. dude86

dude86 Member

I am quite sure it was already revealed that this will be windowed game.supporting multiple windows on your OS. So the posts about accessing chat from outside the game are not relevant.

If windowed the game could simply add a separate chat/friends window.
  13. elexis

elexis Member

I think they referred to being able to access a lobby chat from out of the game. It could be useful say for a server administrator that needs access for moderation purposes.