Recommended Specs

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by sabetwolf, October 20, 2012.

1. sabetwolf

sabetwolf Member

Any results yet on reliable (not absolutely set, but likely at least) Computer Specs from Uber?
  2. calmesepai

calmesepai Member

if it was me i wouldn't worry until beta come out since it should not be too far from recommended specs
  3. FlandersNed

FlandersNed Member

It is FAR too early too early to be talking about Recommended system specs.
    Wait until the alpha comes out.
  4. thapear

thapear Member

Why do people continously ask for recommended specs. The engine isn't even partially done yet.

Any specs released now, accurate or not, are useless since if you're going to buy a PC for this game, you shouldn't do it yet, as the hardware will be a lot cheaper by the time the game comes out.
  5. nightnord

nightnord New Member

Full-scale optimizing is very end of the programming process. When you have established set of algorithms and features and everything works, you may check your remaining time and finances and make assumption on how much it could be optimized and therefore what recommended specs would be.

Also, please note, that Uber need to provide recommended for three platforms (Windows, Linux and Mac) and I doubt that they even started porting process. Providing recommended specs for only one platform would be bad move.

So, I may provide you recommended specs instead of uber: wait until beta will came out and buy most high-end (but not ultra-new) multi-core CPU and a lot of memory (like 16 gb) and a good (high-end, but maybe lower edge) GPU. A good hard-drive (SSD or with SSD-cache) would help too, but mostly it will only reduce loading times. At release time such specs should fine than.
  6. simonhawk

simonhawk New Member

So you are suggesting that it won't run on 32-bit windows?
  7. asgo

asgo Member

that's the reason why it is too early to guess at recommended specs.

his suggestion would work for any game and isn't really PA specific.

I think somewhere there was mentioned both 32 and 64bit. But it always depends if you look just at the client side or the client + server.
    And in the end it still is wait and see. :)
  8. nightnord

nightnord New Member

Question was about recommended specs, not minimal ;) And asgo right, that's a general recommendation for any yet-to-come game, with only exception that I believe it won't be too dependent on GPU (unless you going to play on several 42' monitors).
  9. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Basically I start with the end in mind when it comes to performance. One of the critical areas to think about is the minimum level of GPU functionality on the client that we are shooting for. In this case I'm looking at something like a Sandybridge as far as a minspec for GPU goes. CPU wise if you are just running a client hopefully it will be quite reasonable. The server on the other hand is meant to eat cores.

We are effectively doing simultaneous development. I've done most of my coding so far on mac.

Good advice if you want ultimate performance. Also as you've pointed out final specs are available yet.
  10. doctorzuber

doctorzuber New Member

It actually makes perfect sense to me to be asking this question now. It all boils down to the question of graphics vs performance. And really this is the developers choice right from the start. The more they push the graphics, the higher they have to raise the bar on hardware requirements to insure that everyone gets a reasonable game play experience.

More graphics means more hardware requirements.

To me, that is the real question. How much do you value your graphics? Myself, me personally, I'm a max performance kind of guy. I'm okay with simpler clean looking graphic styles. I'm probably a minority in that however.
  11. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

No it dosent.

If it was a standard game done 100's of times before they might be able to make a guess based on "Graphics vs performance", but PA will include aloot of elements not done 100's of times before, so they wouldent be able to make a accurate guess this early.
  12. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

Also the closest comparison point we have is Supreme Commander, and even five years after release that eats CPUs like they are going out of fashion. GPUs not so much, even though it's still a good-looking game.
  13. elexis

elexis Member

As has been said in this thread already (or was it another one), Supreme Commander eats today's CPU's because it only has 2 threads.
  14. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

Yes, but the point I was making was more that calculating all the ballistics and pathfinding is always going to be the major part of the processing - zoomed out the graphics engine doesn't have to render very much, but at every zoom level all the physics still need to be done.
  15. elexis

elexis Member

Nope, all server side.
  16. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

And if your playing singleplayer? The server side calculations was just for big online games wasent it?
  17. thapear

thapear Member

You're correct. If you're playing singleplayer, you'll be the server as well.
    However, server-side calculation will always be done. For example, if you're playing on a LAN with 2 players, one of them will have to be the server.
  18. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Yeah, basically there is always a server somewhere but it could just be hosted on your machine for single player.

Also everyone needs to keep in mind that we are aiming to make the game scaleable. This means that the minspec needs to take into account how large of a game and what configuration that game takes. What might be acceptable for a 4 player game might not cut it in a 40 player game.

Like I said, I'm not going to go too crazy on the graphics side. At the moment minspec is basically shader model 3 with decent vertex texture fetch (so we can instance stuff).
  19. drtomb

drtomb Member

Hexacore CPU @ 10THz
    256 GB of RAM
    128 GB VRAM GPU
    1TB SSD

And thats minimum specs!
  20. elexis

elexis Member

Only Hexacore?
    Also is that 256GB RAM or or CPU cache?