What's up this week?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neutrino, October 2, 2012.

1. tomjw64

tomjw64 New Member

It's awesome to see how smoothly and quickly things seem to be going along! Thanks for the update!
  2. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Neutrino, I'm very impressed how all of this going so fast. I know that all the team is made of veteran coders, but i can't imagine you've started everything from scratch when kickstarter completed successfully.

Even if with SMNC you allready have lots of stuff working, I guess you must have worked on POC before and starting studying in the different areas required for such a game, true ?

It's really amazing to see how you can smoothly and quickly switch between different areas.

Do you have specific methods to move forward when coding ? Scrum addict ? :p

In any case i want to thank you for sharing on a regular basis how the team is moving forward. It's basically something which i've never seen before and it's much appreciated.
  3. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

Im assuming that they are keeping the planning to a minimum and that it saves aloot of time this early in the code (but it might cause delays and problems later unless they realy know what they are doing, but i think they do). Offcourse not having a developer breathing down their neck also helps.

The reason for the assumption is the fact that they dont have every feature planned out in advance (For example the moon carriers) but instead let's us the community play a active part in the development (For now mainly by input at the forums that they read).

(Btw, as i have said this is a assumption, i might be way off. But from my limited experience its normal to try to plan out every part of a program before making it, even if its unlikely that the finished product will be as planned at early stages.)
  4. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

We actually are doing a lot of research and development which is form of planning. The features that we are developing now are more the framework around which the rest of the game is built so we don't have to figure out every detail of what each piece of code looks like. Also remember that we've built some of these games before so we can draw on that experience to know where the oddball nooks and crannies are in our problem space. Of course we are making the problem space bigger here as well ;)

The actual formulation we are using the terrain, the replication and the sim are all different from previous games but based on our experience. We have plausible fallsbacks for anything that's too wacky.
  5. adecoy95

adecoy95 Member

is there any concept art being worked on at this stage?
  6. wolfdogg

wolfdogg Member

I must admit it does appear from the outside to be going very smoothly. I'm sure your cumulative experience contributes to this a great deal, but I suspect that things are rarely as they appear. I am sure you guys are working really long hours and there is plenty of head scratching going on!

That said, I think because you guys are so excited about making this game - probably more so than the community is about playing it - we have a unique situation on our hands where the long hours and brain-melting problems are easily overcome by enthusiasm and coffee.

That's what really makes me excited about the game: We have a great community who have made a lot of input into the forums and have unwaveringly supported you guys from the very beginning. And of course, your team is made up of veteran game developers who made games that have occupied me and many others for over a decade. This game is going to be really special.
  7. poncegabriel

poncegabriel New Member

Very nice to hear. Can't wait for whats in store (Development process).
  8. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Something good just happened.
  9. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

Aah, so Bill Gates is funding you now? Great to hear!
  10. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Who did you hire now?
  11. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Oh god, please let it be what I think it is.
  12. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Fulfillment site is now bug free, and Emails are going out in force?
  13. Consili

Consili Member

I saw Neutrino's post and remained patient. Now that Sorian is excited as well I am itching to at least know when we are going to know what happened hahaha
  14. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

They got the first commander walking around on a fully 3d planetary surface! Yeahhh!! Largest planet size confirmed to be hundreds of square kilometers in size! Wooo!!!
    </wild guessing>
  15. ultramarine777

ultramarine777 Member

Do spoil us please!!! :shock:
  16. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

Oh you tease
  17. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Been doing some digging. At this point I believe my guess is correct and it is indeed awesome news!
  18. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

What is it? What is it?
  19. Consili

Consili Member

Oh come on! hahaha when do we get in on the news : P
  20. thefirstfish

thefirstfish New Member

Accidentally spun off nuclear fusion, a cure for cancer, and the secret for eternal youth from an unusually good brainstorming session?

Actually you guys are on a roll I wouldn't be altogether surprised.