Alien/Wild Life Encounters

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by mindlessuser, September 14, 2012.

?

Do you want NPC creatures in your game?

1. Sentient Aliens capable of fighting back

25 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. Animals which graze & flee when startled

45 vote(s)
    56.3%
  3. Huge monsters (Kraken, Dragons, Your Mom, etc.)

26 vote(s)
    32.5%
  4. None of the above (Don't want NPCs)

28 vote(s)
    35.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mindlessuser

mindlessuser New Member

Will we get to see some planets that are inhabited by aliens?

it would be a shame if every planet was barren, why can't we have a few sea monsters to interact with, or how about some birds that fly out of the trees when our vehicles come driving by. Would add a little bit more emotion to your battles if your playing a protective role, while your opponent is planning to destroy all life it can find. (this could actually be a type of victory condition, game ends when all organic life has expired).
  2. bathtub

bathtub Member

I guess they could add some neutral creatures for fun, though I would expect this sort of thing to be waaaaay down the task list.
  3. daviddes

daviddes New Member

+1 for Your Mom.
  4. Regabond

Regabond Member

Old partially running war machines of the past along with bits of bases that keeps building them. It would go along with the metal worlds.

Overall, I can do without little critters or big ones.
  5. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

6. itspayne

itspayne New Member

In a game like this, it should be all about clashing each other so I voted "no need"
  7. mindlessuser

mindlessuser New Member

i'm surprised there was so much negative reception to the idea of alien life in the existing thread, when this poll appears to show a 3/4 majority towards having some form of alien life.
  8. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

Not exactly. It could be that anybody voting for the top options is also voting for the huge monsters (and likely the case). It can easily be that more than 50% want no alien/wild life, and the rest just voted on several options. Would be nice if we could see how many people voted.
  9. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

Defensive civilians like in SupCom are fine. Any other form of NPCs is bad.
  10. Consili

Consili Member

Yeah it would be nice to see a poll break down to see at a glance where people stood on the idea.
  11. vegnis

vegnis New Member

I think alien creature's would be highly entertaining, but are really secondary to what will make this game interesting. If they can add them in without taking all the core feature's awesome, but if they have to cut them to actually finish the game? That would be alright too.
  12. dsiOne

dsiOne New Member

Alien fauna of varying difficulty could be a cool way to balance out 'perfect' planets with tons of recyclable mass (trees) on top of extraction zones and other resources.
  13. rec0n412

rec0n412 Member

Folks, given what has been said about time and funding. Two things that have resulted in a relatively scaled back RTS, in terms of factions and the bells and whistles...

Lets get a good game first, this sort of thing should be one of the last things to be developed anyway.
  14. doctorzuber

doctorzuber New Member

I am somewhat indifferent on this subject to be honest. It's extra fluff that really wouldn't bother me if it got cut for time/budget reasons.

If however they do decide to include this, I'm okay with harmless wildlife that flees. I might be okay with aliens that can fight back a little, but I'm less sure on that one. I am against super monsters.
  15. sacrificiallamb

sacrificiallamb Member

While I wholeheartedly agree I would love to see both land critters and huge space critters, nothing combative just some thing like "space whales". you know if you have time. having things like that can help make the worlds/space seem less empty, and more interesting to see early game.
  16. rec0n412

rec0n412 Member

I agree with your thoughts on the matter. It does make the whole world seem less dead, and more... not a pixelated fabrication to satisfy my need to wage digital warfare.

I will stand by my point though.
  17. zachb

zachb Member

Seeing random herds of critters grazing across the planet or space whales meandering through the void would be neat. It makes everything a bit prettier, and makes the universe a little alive. But we need to make the game good first.

I would file this under the rest of the graphics engine. Wild animals along with lens flares, clouds, trees, stars in the sky, anti aliasing, and everything else that is really nice, but not absolutely necessary.
  18. enderstryke71

enderstryke71 New Member

I just think it should be primitive animals that live on a few planets that can't really do anything, just run from your robots. And, if you're feeling cruel, you can shoot at. Nothing game changing, but it would make the planets seem more alive. But I am strongly against native animals/aliens that can fight back, because it would give some amount of chance that I don't think should be in a game like this.
  19. wolfdogg

wolfdogg Member

I like the idea that maybe once in a few games I might come across a world that has some fauna to annihilate as well as the enemy.

Personally I think it should be pretty rare - so that it's something to be excited about. Like finding life on another planet should be. The only twist here is that your commander should annihilate it just like anything else that stands in his way.

I'd like to see some kind of statistics based on how many alien species I've annihilated in my 'commandering career' and how many inhabited worlds I've destroyed.

People are used to the idea of seeing alien flora on planets they land on so I don't think fauna would be that much of a stretch. It would certainly add to the game.

But as stated multiple times, along with weather and all the other niceties - it has to come at the end, after the game is finished.
  20. dffmmm

dffmmm Member

Rogue robots or ancient robots stuck on a hostile subroutine... Peewee's!!! :twisted: