Suggestion: Add WiC-like communication system

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by TheLambaster, September 3, 2012.

?

Would you like...

1. a simple communication system (chat and some basic map pings)

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  2. an advanced communication system (like what I described)

11 vote(s)
    57.9%
  3. an different communication system (pls describe in post)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. a chat window only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. grim warriors don't talk, argh!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

Hey,
    having a good system for communication in a game is crucial for it to be a good game, in my opinion. World in Conflict has a communication system with commands and requests that is very well done. That is: a scrollable chat window, that even is up on loading screen, and various markers (flares/ beacons) like “need air support here”, “attack here”, “caution here” supported by automated text messages like “player X launched a beacon” in the chat window (if I remember correctly - maybe I am confusing this with Wargame EE). Unfortunately those messages weren't clickable, like the camera-message in supcom... but I would recommend that for PA.

So what do you think of an advanced communication system for PA?

What I had in mind was this:

press a key for opening up the communications menu. You then get a semi transparent window with a couple of markers that you can place on the map (maybe by holding shift several of the selected kind). Some of the markers are predefined message-markers, some text less markers (maybe blue red and yellow like in supcom) and one or more markers that you can add a custom text to. Maybe you also have arrows and such, that you can place on the map. When being placed markers make a visual and acoustic ping, supported by a chat message (Player X placed marker of kind Y). You can then click the message to get to the point on the map where the marker has been placed.

Critics? Anything to add?
    Last edited: September 3, 2012
  2. linecircle

linecircle Member

I'd like it to be advanced and powerful, but via mods, thereby keeping the core game simple.
  3. TheLambaster

4. RCIX

RCIX Member

Modders can make the frill parts of the game so Uber can concentrate on making the core stuff (that modders would have a difficult/impossible time changing) as good as possible.
  5. TheLambaster

6. Causeless

Causeless Member

I'd say this is essential for the base game. If it's going to support over 40 players, then there's no way a simple chat box will be good enough!
  7. linecircle

linecircle Member

I agree with you that a simple system is not going to be enough for most people. However, it is not always easy to know which advanced features are wanted by everyone. Thus, through mods, everyone can get the game they want without the core game being superbloated... mods for modularity-sake, not merely to offload development cost. (You can identify which features are extremely popular, for example via polls, and the developers will likely give it consideration)
  8. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

I think the communication system in particular is something that needs to be standard across all players.

I mean you could understand me right now if i was using full 1337, but even if it conveyed more information it wouldn't necessarily be helpful.
  9. linecircle

linecircle Member

That is a good point. A bit of bloat is a worthwhile price to have communications be standardized. I'd like to request that everything be toggleable then :D