3. no

28 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. i don't care

18 vote(s)
    15.1%
  1. Ice36bc

Ice36bc New Member

i like to have a big strong shield defending a important building in my base.
    lets drop Tutorial and make Shields.
    who needs Tutorial anyway we are all gamers.
  2. galaxy366

galaxy366 Member

Shields are out for the time being.
  3. dmii

dmii Member

How about an actual argument for dropping a tutorial?
    Just because someone is a gamer doesn't mean, that he automatically knows how a game works.
  4. dosbag

dosbag Member

I can understand why people may not want shields but the problem I see is that without a bubble shield of some form when you have an enemy across multiple worlds pelting you with artillery constantly this will occur.

You go and check your base on another planet, meanwhile your base is being pelted and units destroyed you cannot give repair orders and counter attack. you come back to find your base completely obliterated because you made the mistake of focusing on another planet that was under attack. Then while trying to frantically rebuild the same thing happens to another base on another location.
  5. lacero

lacero New Member

Thank you for making a poll with an "I don't care" option.
  6. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

It's been pointed out in other places that shields haven't necessarily been thrown out, just that the devs weren't happy with how they ended up in sup com and that they need a bit of a new twist.

That sounds like a definant maybe to me (even if its a low chance maybe).

I believe the largest problem people found with shields is that they could become a nigh impenetrable defense (every base can be cracked but not necessarily for equivalent resources). Instead i think they where supposed to be a kind of grace period while you tried to do something about artillery.

Regardless as the poll shows a lot of people like their shields (including me). It would be sad to see them go if the devs can't find a place for them but i could easily survive without them. Having them did allow for a lot of fun modding though.
  7. Zoughtbaj

Zoughtbaj Member

Personally I think that if all they block is artillery (Think Bomb Bouncers in SC2), then I'm happy. More would be happier, yes, but hey.
  8. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

I'm all for personal shields. Bubble shields, or any kind of mechanic that allows shields to overlap, is a big, 100% NO.
  9. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

My knee jerk reaction to only personal shields was that they didn't differentiate from just higher health and regeneration. In reality they do but maybe not enough to be worth coding them in. However once the basic architecture for shields is in the game its more for sub par coders like me to work with. So i like the idea.
  10. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

I was actually thinking of shield projectors as a base defence - something that can project a personal shield onto another unit.

A further enhancement to the shield idea would be to allow a percentage of damage through the shield, to differentiate it from simple health regeneration.
  11. Zoughtbaj

Zoughtbaj Member

This was done with the Cybrans in SC2. As long as you had an engineer around auto-repairing stuff, it actually was much, much for efficient than a standard shield, as it lasted longer than a normal shield, as long as you knew what you were doing.
  12. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

weren't all shields identicle in SC2?
  13. dosbag

dosbag Member

In a game where you can slam an asteroid into another planet bubble shields are not OP.
    bengeocth likes this.
  14. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Cosmetically, only. They all functioned differently.

In Sup1/FA they looked different and functioned the same.
  15. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

No wonder i was confused...

not that i put ages into SC2
  16. syx0

syx0 New Member

I haven't voted in the poll.

My Opinion is very simple:

Totally impenetrable shield stacking is bad.
    Being defenceless against artillery is bad.

As long as they avoid both of the above, I am okay.
  17. yinwaru

yinwaru New Member

I voted "I don't care". I like shields, but they were detrimental to the gameplay at times in SC. If they're balanced properly, then it'd be okay to implement them, but that could potentially be a lot of work.
  18. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

I realy love big and epic shield effect and the feeling of a secure base. ;)

Maybe shields can cost more than 3-5 energy plants to balance them if they were strong but i dont think they were realy strong so they cost maybe less than 2 energy plants.

If Uber implement shields I hope they just look them like in Supcom 1 not SupCom 2.
  19. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

I'd like to see them in.
    But they definitely need a shake-up.
  20. Ubermetroid

Ubermetroid New Member

I really would like to see them.

How about if they only stopped energy weapons and not physical ones?