POV camera

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by sharpy34, September 1, 2012.

?

POV Camera

1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    88.5%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. sharpy34

sharpy34 New Member

While we already know PA will have strategic zoom, how about being about to change the cameras viewing direction? For example, zooming into a battle and turning the camera upwards so you can view the battle from the units point of view. Or watch a planet get annihilated from the view of those about to get obliterated.

Sorry if this has already been suggested.
  2. thapear

thapear Member

This sounds like a fun idea. It was partially possible in SupCom by holding space and moving the mouse. I think that if you were able to snap the view to a unit's point of view it would make spectating battles quite spectacular.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

like pressing space in supreme commander?
    oh yes please, not for gameplay but just for awesomness ^^
  4. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Yeah, not for the regular gameplay, but for taking screenshots or capturing movies. With the possibility to remove any GUI elements including strategic icons while in this mode.
  5. wizzything

wizzything New Member

Earth2160 had that, you could even control the unit and most of it's actions, like moving and firing, it had no real use though, it slightly increased the caused damage.

But for a game of massive amount of units, this is rather unpractical, might be need for spy satellites though, to quickly switch from view to view.
  6. sharpy34

sharpy34 New Member

Yes! Just like in supreme commander, I don't necesarily mean snapping the camera to the unit itself (although that would be cool in some situations). I mean having the camera at eye level and still being able to move around the battlefield as normal so you can get a good view of the carnage
  7. acey195

acey195 Member

As long it is easy to go back to a camera aligned to the center of the planet, I say go for it.

If something like camera paths could be scriptable and somewhat easy to use, I guess ingame cinematics for custom scenarios are only the next logical step.

By that I mean, that the community could make better scenarios/campaigns when Uber cannot due to budget.
  8. sharpy34

sharpy34 New Member

Oh yeah, a simple reset viewpoint key would be enough, in fact it could work where, you hold the middle mouse button to move the camera, let go for it to stay there and press it again to reset. Simple yet effective.
  9. archer6110

archer6110 Member

Not middle mouse, sorry but that should be reserved for panning the planet. Space I thought worked well in sup com, let's keep that?
  10. sharpy34

sharpy34 New Member

ah yeah I forgot about that, space would be just as easy to use :)