Feature: UI: Undo

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by coldboot, September 1, 2012.

1. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

I'm wondering why I have never thought of this before.

There have been so many times when I had the wrong units selected when I issued an order. Seems like an easy one to implement.
  2. nlspeed911

nlspeed911 Member

I fully agree, this could be very useful.
  3. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

/sign

There needs to be a way to remove single commands from the command queue or to add commands in middle of the queue. Well, the latter one is maybe possible with SupCom somehow, but it's far from intuitive and i haven't stumbeld over a tutorial for this yet.
  4. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Hold shift - this will allow you to see existing commands.
    Hold control and then right-click on the command you wish to nuke.
  5. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

I mean undo in the sense that you can undo your actions, not just a unit's actions. So if I selected a ton of units and told them to stop, so they lose their orders, I could hit undo and they would get all of their orders restored. And if I hit undo again, it would undo the last thing I did as well.

Think of how many times you've ruined an entire order queue by doing the wrong thing.

(I didn't know about the unit-undo feature you just mentioned. It would be great to have keybindings this time as it's the perfect way to learn all the keyboard shortcuts without having to explicitly document them separately.)
  6. archer6110

archer6110 Member

I agree fully, except from a technical aspect I also realize undo histories are actually quite resource intensive. It'd have to be limited to 5 or 10 of your last commands, which will likely be enough for more experienced players but I can hear alot of complaining that that's just way to little. +1 still for at least 5 undo's, don't know how it would be spread out between units and buildings (I'd have to say it's simply 5 global undo's, 5 per unit would grow exponentially. It'd be pretty dumb to run outa memory from an undo history on a game where you can theoretically have millions of everything XD)
  7. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

It's just a series of command types and coordinates, it's really not that much memory at all. There should be a limit. I don't think anyone can remember what they did past 5 commands, nor would they want to undo past that limit anyway.
  8. archer6110

archer6110 Member

It actually is, sorry. I'm not just making this up, but go into a relatively simple editing program that supports undo, let's say Inkscape (open source svg editor) crank your undo history up past 100 and tell me how well your computer runs even a simple image with less than 20 objects?

Every command it has to save needs ram, and will be saving effected unit list (which could be the biggest factor) said unit's action (which could be as little as 1 or as many as 50 commands, depending on what you were doing) unit's starting and ending positions (this is for each unit selected) all that essentially turns 1 units total command structure (coulda been say, 50kbs (totally off the top of my head, probably not unrealistic though) multiplied by 5 commands, and multiplied by 100 units. Suddenly that's 25 mb of ram into remembering 1 command that had 5 points on it. And for every additional save it could be more or less.

edit- sorry didn't quite comprehend your last bit of your post. Though I do think most people would want more than 5 commands, but you're right most people probably couldn't remember what they did 5 clicks ago.
  9. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Wasn't talking to you, bro. ;p

Either way, I think undo would be a royally awesome thing to be able to do.