Feature: UI: Auto-build buildings around existing structure

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by coldboot, August 30, 2012.

1. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

In Zero-K, you can tell a construction unit to surround a structure with several copies of the same building by selecting the building to build, moving the mouse cursor over the already queued or built structure, holding Ctrl, then clicking.

This is perfect for surrounding structures with walls in one click, or building a bunch of solar panels around an existing solar panel to get a 3x3 block.

It even works to surround units.

However, in Zero-K, the feature will only do naive surrounding, and won't surround a group of adjacent buildings. Being able to surround an arbitrarily large set of grouped buildings would be really convenient.
  2. jurgenvonjurgensen

jurgenvonjurgensen Active Member

Re: Feature: UI: Auto-build buildings around existing struct

While I think this UI feature falls under the "would be nice, but not essential" level of priority, I definitely think there should be reasons to surround buildings with other buildings.

Adjacency bonuses were one of my favourite features of SupCom because it felt more like you were actually building a war machine, rather than just slapping a bunch of buildings down. If anything, I'd like to see adjacency bonuses be more significant in PA.
  3. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

This was actually made from TADemo for TA (which anyone who plays online these days will likely use). So yeah, it's in TA too. I'd say it's fairly useful, but never really needed it myself (except against bomber rushes, then I surround my mexes with windmills for defense).
  4. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

Oh I definitely agree, it's a "nice to have". But let's at least make sure the developers know about it so they can make the UI moddability flexible enough for this to be added by the community.