Discussing Custom Commanders and backer recognition.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by zidonuke, August 28, 2012.

1. zidonuke

zidonuke Member

I wish the developers goodluck on this, proud to support the idea.

Changed topic title to reflect what is being discussed here.
    Last edited: August 31, 2012
  2. theavatarofwar

theavatarofwar New Member

Re: Pledged 1k to this! :D

If possible, you might want to edit the image and grey out the name of your bank. Especially when people now know you can throw $1000 at a game like that. :p

**Edit: and the URL showing for the email.
  3. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Thanks for the support!

We were just talking about custom commanders.
  4. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Actually I was talking about them last night too, any chance we can learn more about the process? I have some thoughts and a sort of special request, but it's dependent on the process and/or how flexible you guys can be.

Mike
  5. zidonuke

zidonuke Member

I guess this would be a nice place to get into that a little.

From what it seems it has to conform to being robotic, similar art style, and can't vary much gameplay wise from how a commander works.

However from a gameplay sense, I would love for it to be like 10-15% more powerful than any standard commander! :D

Maybe a special ability or function that works into the game?

Anyways I already want mine to be like a robotic anthro bunny, stands up like a normal commander and such, but has noticeable long ears and a small spherical tail. XD
  6. theavatarofwar

theavatarofwar New Member

Actually, I have a concern regarding custom commanders. If they are embedded in the game resources, then you can bet there will be a mod that will let people access and use them. And if they're not, clients will need a way to download the resources when first connecting with the users who have them.
  7. KNight

That's what i figured, but my concerns have much more depth to them than that, I expect I'll have to until until some time after the KS to enter the appropriate dialogue, it's not liek there isn't some time to spare! xD

I hope not.

Mike
  8. neutrino

Yes this is inevitable that people will hack it. Not much we can do since we are DRM free.
  9. neutrino

The general process is we are going to ask for some visual reference material. We'll then do a quick concept and get approval before building it. Obviously we are going to build the commanders in the visual style of the game. The reference material can be a person, place or thing they want to influence it. If people want to build their own models we would consider that as long as it's fits with the game.

Some people will want the commander to be a reflection of them personally, more like an avatar. Others will want it based on something cool they are into (had someone ask for a rabbit for example).
  10. megrubergusta

megrubergusta New Member

Now that you started to talk about it:

When you have time can you tell us, what costum commander is and how they will work (only optical unique, unique gameplay or not). Even if I won't have enough money for one of them I would like to know if we can expect some op units on the battlefield.
  11. neutrino

We haven't made a final decision but they certainly won't be OP.
  12. megrubergusta

megrubergusta New Member

Good to know though the idea of a goodlike rabbit sounds funny :lol:
  13. felipec

felipec Active Member

Nice support, dude!
    I wish I had more money to spend on this game.. Actually this is already the most expensive game I ever bought ($100) lol
  14. zidonuke

zidonuke Member

I guess the best method of protection is how a commander can be chosen in the unmodded game which will be required to play unmodded game servers. Because if anything thats all I care is in online, unmodded gameplay. There is no technical way to defend it in offline or modded servers.

(Select Commander Menu)
    [UI Name Internal Name]
    Normal Commander 1 (cmd_1)
    Normal Commander 2 (cmd_2)
    Normal Commander 3 (cmd_3)
    Normal Commander 4 (cmd_4)
    Pre Order Commander (cmd_preorder)
    Custom Commander (cmd_custom)

So to the client there is no method to just see every commander, you have a selection in a drop down to choose a custom commander based on your account.

This will tell the server to query the commander for the account to the master server and return an identifier to the custom commander that exists in the client resources.

Another way to look at it in the network level, Think how minecraft works in online mode.

Client joins server with his account name and auth token.
    Server takes this data and requests it from the master server.
    Master replies with a Yes or No and also will respond if custom commander is enabled and which one should be assigned to that user.
    Server then enables the use of the custom commander for the client.
    If the client elects to use his custom commander it will be used in the battle.

Thats mine :3
    Last edited: August 28, 2012
  15. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Just let them put your nickname on top of the acu somewhere visible.
    At least I don't want to play with an acu that has somebody elses name printed on it.
  16. megrubergusta

megrubergusta New Member

@zidonuke

But doesn't that idea need an internet connection? (I understand it that way). So people can't use them in offline/LAN matches.

Now I'm excited to meet you and your fearsome(?) rabbit on the battlefield! :D
  17. KNight

Actually the Bolded was what I was thinking about, but my other concern is how closely you'd need to stick to the basic Bipedal proportions we've seen for the commander thus far, I guess worse comes to worse I can start working on the design and see what happens, as I think I said before, still plenty of time!

Mike
  18. zidonuke

zidonuke Member

As for offline mode (non lan play)

When you login to the game (online mode), if you have a custom commander it will be written to a file that enables it for use when you elect to use a custom commander.

When connecting to a lan server you will just tell the server that I want to use my custom commander based on what's written to the file, and if the server is operating without access to the master server, then just allow it.

I had to try :p
  19. megrubergusta

megrubergusta New Member

Well I somehow skipped the following sentence of you earlier: There is no technical way to defend it in offline or modded servers.

Thats what I tried to tell :p

I'm sorry but its getting late here ;)
  20. zidonuke

zidonuke Member

I do know one thing, I want the custom commander model but maybe even give custom effects and sounds? Make it maybe 1.5x bigger than other basic commanders, because it has to be noticeable and very unique. Of course really thinking about it don't let it modify gameplay unless we can think of minor non critical fun stuff.

Another thing I guess is that in the social out of game interfaces have unique tagging or rank showing the contribution

And finally having some kind of flashy entrance when we join the game. Either a mid screen text based alert or unique large dropship

Paying 1k for a game? I would love to have my ego stroked every single game I join.