[Feature] Remappable Keys & Buttons

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by thygrrr, August 25, 2012.

1. thygrrr

thygrrr Member

A fully configurable key- & mouse map for the game, maybe even with some simple scripting attached to each button, would help a lot of players adopt the game and excel at it.

Why scripting? Because you can do a lot more if you can influence the state of your keybindings to make them more contextual and flexible.

Getting a bunch of players during Beta to make traditional "StarCrafty" , "C&Cy" and "Total Annihilationy" bindings and shipping these as examples to choose instead of the default could seed a culture of custom keybinds.

Tangential Nostalgia:
    I remember how in RtCW:ET, I scripted my weapon switch buttons so that in 90% of the cases even the wrong button would give me the right thing, no matter how panically I mashed the keyboard.
    Stateful keybindings save lives!
    :mrgreen:
  2. leewang

leewang New Member

YES YES

Not only is it useful and increases user friendliness, it will also allow for differentiation at the upper echelons of play.

P.S. I'm loving all your ideas Thygrrr!
  3. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

they should have a look at Zulans hotbuild mod for FA. It works great for even a high amount of building and unit types.
  4. GoogleFrog

GoogleFrog Active Member

This was a given for me. Even SCII has this feature.
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

*Even*, or do you talk about SupCom2? xD
  6. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

Oh and, being able to have combinations of keys would be nice.

Seriously.
  7. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Frankly there is no reason to not at the very least have re-mappable keys, you guys at Uber are great and all, but there just isn't 1 setup that will work for everyone everywhere.

Mike
  8. KarottenRambo

KarottenRambo Member

I was thinking the same, because "Even the most expensive RTS ever has this feature" makes no sense. :lol:
  9. GoogleFrog

GoogleFrog Active Member

Even the most restrictive in terms of UI has this feature. I would not have been surprised if keybinds were not configurable, justified by some sort of "people can get an advantage with good UI customisation" standpoint.
  10. thygrrr

thygrrr Member

SupCom's Keybinds were not configurable.

TA's Keybinds were not configurable.

StarCraft's keybinds were not configurable.

Warcraft III's keybinds were not configurable.

So make keybinds properly configurable without resorting to mods, PLEASE.
  11. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

AND MULTIPLE COMBINATIONS
  12. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

There actually is a hugh discussion about that on teamliquid. There was also a huge discussion when people realized that vow used the hotbuild-mod for some month before releasing it to the public.
    But yeah, SC2 has that feature, actually SC2 has nearly all features that make sense to have in the game. I wonder how SC2 would play with strategic zoom, maybe somebody can mod it in xD

@Thygrrr: Warcraft 3 had a custom key-bindings file. Was a pain to handle without 3rd party tools, but it was doable. But actually Gridkey is totally fine in WC3 and SC2, anyway. No need to configure much xD

I would not mind if PA would support gridkeys, aswell.
  13. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

It would be great if the keybindings were configurable to be able to easily print them so you could memorize your own bindings more easily.

Just mapping the bindings to an easy-to-read configuration file would be sufficient for this purpose.
  14. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

15. Proxus

Proxus Member

I really think this just might be a bit excessive and as Neutrino said, it's more work to do because of how windows handles keyboard messages. (wont speak for osx or linus because I simply don't know).

Would you really need more than what you can modify with ctrl/alt/shift? (plus combinations of them as well?)

I mean reasonably an average user can reach how far with their left hand while holding two modifiers comfortably? using ctrl + shift I figure maybe as far as H? I'll just go with G to compensate for maximum comfort so that's bindings for everything from ~ to 5 and down accordingly or ~22 keys without modifier. With that, and the ability to use none, ctrl, alt, shift, ctrl + alt, ctrl + shift, and alt + shift, you reach a grand total of 154 key combos comfortably.

So yes, I vote for action mapping as well as the ability to use combos of modifiers (and modifier + mouse buttons, my personal fav :D ) but additional modifiers might be back-burnered.