$900,000 breakdown

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by natedoggcata, August 17, 2012.

1. natedoggcata

natedoggcata Member

Hey guys... don't worry this isnt a bitching thread but was wondering if anyone could give a breakdown as to what the $900,000 is going to be used for. Im trying to spread the word about this on other forums and such but everyones reaction is pretty much "wtf do they need $900,000 for if its only an RTS?"

Thanks! I plan on backing when I get paid next week! Love Ubers games and this is really the first time where I felt a dev has opened their arms to the community and made them feel welcome! :D
  2. donut7577

donut7577 Active Member

Blackjacks and hookers
  3. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Are you kidding me? 900k is a pittance to make an RTS game.

Most RTS's cost 5-10x that easily. Some more like 20x.
  4. roadkillgrill

roadkillgrill Active Member

payroll for their team during the project (it can fund 18 employes for a year at $50,000)
    -------------
    3rd party contracts
    rent of their office
    legal advisement
  5. cookie1mon

cookie1mon Member

I'd be more interested to know what the overage (if it goes over by any marginal amount) will be going towards.

Kickstarter takes %5, so $900,000 is actually $855,000. They also have to factor in kickstarter rewards, which can add up. In this case, most of the rewards are digital though, so they'll be cheaper than usual rewards. Let's just say uber will, in the end, get $850k to work with. That's probably enough to hire on a few developers for full time development of the game, for say a year, as well as a chunk of cash to put towards other costs (server maintenance, advertisement, rent, ect). It costs a lot to develop a game, and Uber's good at stretching their money.

If they go over their goal though, and they probably will, since they're almost at $300k and we're only 2 days in, things could get interesting. Would they hire on more developers to work on another game mode for it? Would they put it towards art direction? AI?

Essentially $900k will probably cover some basic, un-romantic game development, and go towards making it's a quality game that won't be plagued by a variety of issues. Over that $900K though, they can really get into making it even more innovative/expansive/fantastic.
  6. neutrino

If we get more money we'll make the game have more stuff. We have a set of stretch goals. The 900k is really going to be tight btw, especially as you point out we don't get all of it. Subtract about 10% from my understanding for fees.
  7. goodbean

goodbean Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly from the dickfigures kickstarter video. 10% (90,000) goes to amazon and kickstarter to pay expenses for the site and handling money. They did explain the details of where the money goes, but it must be alot different for game devs.
  8. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Seriously? Game budgets are vastly higher than movie budgets these days. $900k is really quite low for a game development these days.
  9. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

I am actually quite shocked at the $900k figure. I would have expected Uber to need at least double that.
  10. neutrino

Yep.

Some of the things that keep the cost down:
    - procedural planets
    - only one set of units
    - no single player campaign
    - naval is a stretch goal
    - experience making previous rts's so we don't waste time
    - starting with an already running engine (in house)
    - non-photorealistic art style
    - me crunching for a year
  11. ramcat

ramcat New Member

These are great news. Especially the "one set of units".
  12. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Still seems tight, but if anyone can do it it's you guys.
  13. ferigad

ferigad Member

Except for the tight goals. Is there anyway community could help you guys out there with somethin, like...translations or somethin else to get it maybe a little bit better then worse? Or hookers? :p

No seriously. I mean we allrdy backed , i assume there are enough ppl that are also intressted in help you with there skills, ability and else, if you just see somethin that fits and that could be helped by this bigger community.

_if_ you get the goal. But honestly, we got 2.7 millions for wasteland 2. I imagine there are also at least as many RTS fans out there as wasteland 2 fans. So i have no doubt... or at least 95% no doubt!

Oh before i forget it, if 900K is really thin and you could do some more with more money and so on bla bla you know the drill, and you dont get the minimum with Kickstarter, you could still use the sell-model that they used with Endless Space. I mean it was a good idear and i know many ppl who buyed the game in Alpha stage for a lower price, and the input itself helped the devs in the end to get some better refinements.
  14. nactsuht

nactsuht New Member

Out of curiosity, what is your estimated development time for this game? 2 years, 3 years, more? Does it depend on how much money you make? Just curious, thanks.
  15. renrutal

renrutal Member

Release: Summer 2013
  16. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

For a game like this that doesn't seem too much, they really should develop it for a little more.
  17. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

Ugh, really want naval units!
  18. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

19. goodbean

goodbean Well-Known Member

No single player campaign? Why not?
  20. neutrino

Cost!