Quest for Glory creators Kickstarting a spiritual successor

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by sd0, November 14, 2012.

1. sd0

sd0 New Member

So, this is off-topic and is totally different from SMNC, PA, etc... but lots of here like to play all sorts of games, so I thought it would be worth mentioning.

[​IMG]

Basically, what we're doing is supporting old-school game designers, Lori Ann and Corey Cole, creators of the wonderful Quest for Glory series of adventure/RPG hybrid games, in their Kickstarter quest for glory.

Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption

They want to build a more RPG-focused spiritual successor to the QFG series, and have entitled it Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption. They've teamed up with Brawsome (the studio who built Jolly Rover and MacGuffin's Curse) to do the story justice, and they've definitely caught my attention. It's intended to be a story-rich RPG with strong adventure puzzling elements (i.e., many ways to solve obstacles, other than combat grind, as well as puzzles that go far beyond tiresome fetch quests). With strong dialogue, and tons of humor, I think it's going to be something special.

[​IMG]

In Hero-U, your character is part of a larger story-arc, a Rogue caught red-handed, who must choose between attending Hero-U and being locked up. The game is a stand-alone adventure/RPG, but if it is successful, a series of sequels will be created (they are planned already), in which a different character and class are playable, attending the same Hero University. The epic story concept for the series plans to have the students attending University concurrently in the story's timeline. This would include a Mage in the next game, followed by a Fighter, and then a Paladin, and the concept would have you import your saved game from the previous game (just like QFG). The choices you made in the last game establish who the character is as an NPC in the next game (if you played Shawn, the Rogue from the first game, as a completely selfish rotter, then in the next game, your new character has to deal with him being that way in the next game as an NPC).

The project is hugely important to me, and hope that anyone reading this might take a look at the project and at least tell some others about it, if they can't or don't want to back it. It's releasing on Win/Lin/Mac, with stretch goals for mobile.

Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption
  2. classicgamer81

classicgamer81 New Member

Re: Quest for Glory creators Kickstarting a spiritual succes

It was the Space Quest Series that "lured me in" to Sierra by the Space Quest series.
    The first one I really remember playing was SQ2 on my 286 eons ago lol My first
    experience with Quest for Glory was the original EGA "Hero's Quest", initially I
    didn't do much besides kill monsters, get the castle portcullis lowered onto my hero,
    and get drunk at the Tavern.

The first one in the series I actually beat was Trial by
    Fire, using a hint book. That also happened to be my introduction to Sierra Hint Books.
    I'm excited about this game the more I hear! Especially some of the cool stretch goals
    hinted at in the recent updates, adapting a baby Meep would def lead to some great
    comedic scenarios!

While I understand a lot of people are put off by the fact that Hero-U isn't "Quest for Glory 6" in name, it takes place in the same universe and the Coles have said that characters and events from the QFG series will be alluded to in Hero-U. The University is located in Silmaria, and the Famous Adventurer may or may not make an appearance, and most importantly, THERE"S MEEPS! :D

Even if a TRUE QFG6 were to come to fruition, after Dragon Fire "The Hero's" story was concluded so he wouldn't be the protagonist anyway, and I couldn't imagine "QFG6" being much different from what we're getting for Hero-U
  3. unleasher

unleasher New Member

I am a huge fan of the QFG series and most of the sierra games and I am in for this.
    I REALLY hope they can reach their goal. I believe this will be a very unique game and very fun, and I am glad they aren't just remaking one of their old games in a more modern style.

The adventuregamers interview is very enlightening as well:
    http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/23214

I remember following the PA kickstarter every day and it was so exciting to reach the goal quickly and then bust through all the other goals.
    I wish they already were funded so we could be talking about stretch goals but they need all the support they can get!
  4. akatenshi

akatenshi New Member

I practically grew up on quest for glory series, i hope this game will get the 150000$ it needs, because im pretty sure it will be awesome, just like the good old Quest for glory series :) i loved them, i played them over and over again, and even after 5 years, im still not sure if i found everything that was possible to find in the game :) If there is just a little chance to make another game like that, trust me, its worth it!!! so go on kickstarter, dont ask any questions and just give them your money! and then when you play the game, be proud that you helped ;)